Memories of "The Limit" Nightclub

Guest sibon

Does anyone know how I can get hold of a copy of

of The Last Night of The Limit?

Sibon, get hold of Neil Anderson, Gary Wilson or Paul "Legs" Unwin (the legendary Limit DJ), they can help.

---------- Post added 29-03-2015 at 15:09 ----------

Hello Everyone,

I just posted a new blog about a night at The Limit in November 1978:

http://www.mylifeinthemoshofghosts.com/2015/03/28/the-smirks-the-limit-club-friday-3rd-november-1978/

Enjoy.

Cheers

Roger

Great stuff pal, great to see the old ads, pics and playlist.

For anyone who remembers Rob "Dingo" Dowling we are having a little get together on September 19th at the Queens Social Club starting around 7 p.m. There will be music from We are Sparta FC performing a variety of punk/new wave/old wave covers and the reforming of Tsi-Tsa for a one off gig with all the original members except Dingo. No cover charge but we might be happy if you made a donation to the family as a remembrance.

Lots of old Limit folk will be there including Paul Unwin the DJ who will be attending in non-DJ capacity.

It's a shame the audio track has been muted "for copywrite reasons". Profoundly silly reasons would have made for a more honest excuse.

How appropriate that the footage from Rise that sometimes follows that clip neatly and painfully illustrates why I stopped going to clubs beyond the age of 23.

Groomed, Lanc-nasal hipsters posturing and honking empty rubbish from flapping lips and jutting jaws, clothes seemingly made from Christmas wrapping paper, glam cretins jerking their limbs in an abominable manner to reheated disco barrel-scrapings, garish scalpels of light slashing into the eyes.

The question "how important does the music play a part?" (sic) and the hollow, not-even-trying-to-convince answer "erm, very much..." pretty much says everything that needs to be said.

The 80s gets a slating purely because of what was happening in the Top 40 but the 90s was the age in which music became seriously cancered.

I'm glad that I caught The Limit and Leadmill before Sheffield's night scene rotted away.

For anyone who remembers Rob "Dingo" Dowling we are having a little get together on September 19th at the Queens Social Club starting around 7 p.m. There will be music from We are Sparta FC performing a variety of punk/new wave/old wave covers and the reforming of Tsi-Tsa for a one off gig with all the original members except Dingo. No cover charge but we might be happy if you made a donation to the family as a remembrance.

Lots of old Limit folk will be there including Paul Unwin the DJ who will be attending in non-DJ capacity.

Sounds good mate

---------- Post added 12-06-2015 at 11:57 ----------

Hello Everyone,

I wrote a new blog about Zaine Griff at The Limit in March 1979, with a new Spotify playlist of the dancefloor hits of that month.

http://www.mylifeinthemoshofghosts.com/2015/06/05/zaine-griff-the-limit-club-sheffield-thursday-8th-march-1979/

Enjoy.

Dodger

Great stuff as usual, I was not at that gig, but was in the Limit every Saturday night for years. "Furniture Music" by Bill Nelson's Red Noise always reminds me of the Limit, as do all the songs you mentioned, "Heart of Glass", "Oliver's Army", "Into the Valley" (which they ended up banning as the crowd were out of control when they played it).

Happy Days!

Hello everyone, I have just heard some sad news about an old friend of mine Haydn Boyes Weston who passed away in 2014. He was the drummer with 2.3, Cabaret Voltaire and many other Sheffield bands. RIP Haydn