Memories of "The Limit" Nightclub

Guest teebee

on many i saturday morning i woke with a bad hangover from the night before after spending too much time in the limit drinking barley wine, for some unknown reason, the best cure for it was going out and doing it again on the saturday night.... thoes were the days i suppose

Yeh I went still have my blue limit flyer for student and nurses night on a tuesday...ahhhh

The club with two brains was good too - then we all moved onto the palais on a tues night...ahh

Nearest we get now is the casbah which is a good night...

I used to go to the limit 88-close...so I may know some of you...

I must admit me and my mates were regulars..

The limit shut on 19 january 1991,I didn't go on the last night(sat)but went in on the night before.

Woke up hungover the next day and missed the coach to Man City(Utd were playing there)

The poster who said the last night was filmed is correct,an old girlfiend of mine bought it coz she was in it! Also all the barrels where emptyed on the last night!!

Whoever said there was no trouble in the limit ,can't have gone there that often,when some leeds fans payed a visit in June 83,there was pandamoniam,this was the only time the Limit got closed down,in the mid to late 80's Blades and Owls fans used to fight in there all the time.

Remember javis cocker and the drummer out off pulp getting abused by the casuals who used to stand in the corner(near the toilets)I seem to remember them picking on Goths as well.

OOh the Limit!!! Fond memories of my feet sticking to the floor.

Ah the Limit. A fantastic place.

We used to do pre-pub crwal up West street (The Hallamshire in particular, singing Smiths songs and the rest at the jukebox), before going in to The Limit.

Some great choons :- Aztec camera, The The, Killing Joke, Joy Division, Pogues (moshing gone mad), Smiths, Lloyd Cole, The Jam, Punk, Iggy Pop, and loads more. Almost non-stop on the dance floor. Plastic glasses ? So what ? The worst thing was people nicking your pint if you left it anywhere. Does that still happen in clubs ? I also went on the last night but felt dissapointed as I think it had lost a lot of it's charisma by then and it was looking rundown. Tickets were over priced for a last night and the music was trying to please too many people. it lost it's identity in the end so probably a good thing it closed when it did. It was the dawn of 'The Leadmill !!!' The new indie club kings !

Does anyone also remember going to George IV across from Kelvin Flats for the 'Bizzare' club ? Live indie bands featured upstairs of what was normally a C&W pub ?

Also Bands at The Red Lion in Heeley or 'Stars on Sunday' night which featured bands on at the Crucible ?

oh those were the days, we used to sneak out at night to go to the Limit, met loads of groovy people,, danced to all the alternative stuff, drank pints of lager and black then sat on the floor at the end of the nigh trying not to be sick!used to also go to the Hallamshire first, then on to greasy veras for life saving butties....

did anyone ever go to the Washington when Bill and Barbarah were there, all those tea pots, they used to feed us at the end of the night before we crashed at someones at Townhead Street.

Was that the place on West Street that had the horrible concrete steps down to it? If so, I remember hitting those steps really hard one New Year's eve after having serious quantities of that "drugged" German Lager they used to serve.. Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Mark

http://www.fromparadisetohell.com

I seem to remember we used to call it the "Slime Pit"..

FWIW

Mark.

I saw many, many bands at the Limit in the early 80s ; from The Future [a mixture of later Human League and Clock DVA personnel dressed in white boiler suits] to the B52's. I also recall [as a Blade] the club was regarded by Owls as "their" territory. The young gentlemen who held such vulgar ideas were persuaded otherwise, as I recall...

Trouncer,

yes, I remember the nights at the George 4TH with great affection. I played there myself, as well as watched ClockDVA, I'm So Hollow [Rod Leigh was a mate of mine and later collaborator in Workforce], Artery etc. The dj was "Disco John", and everybody who was connected to Sheffield music seemed to go. Martian Russian of NMX fanzine [the then bible of the local indie scene] was always there, taking photos of the bands on stage. I remember the night the Naked Pygmy Voles [an experimental, "noise" band] supported Clock DVA . I have never seen so many punters crammed into the top room of a pub in my life. The atmosphere was great, and I don't recall a single bad incident. Very, very happy days . Thanks for reminding me!

saw THE ENID there in 83 the entire audience me included sat cross legged on the mucky limit floor only to stand up when they did a barmstorming version of wild thing:loopy: :loopy: :loopy:

also saw the following at the limit

MAMAS BOYS

DILLINGER

SPYDER

Best Punk venue in sheffield at the time - had some great nights there - sticky floor, plastic pots, cheap bottles of wine - never saw much trouble just good atmosphere and music. Never considered to be a football territory thing ? Timo has some sad Blade distorted memory. Never much of a bover boy as I can remember was you Timo ?

Once saw the Skids do 7 encores there...... Into the valley

halcyon days !

Up the Owls

RexT,

Did I claim to be a "bovver boy", RexT? Anyway, you only knew me as a child. I was awarded a first Dan black belt in Shukokai Karate in the early eighties, and I've Lau Gar qualifications too, so I don't think I am a weed either. Not that it matters one jot anyway to mature men who have moved on from the school playground, eh "Toosh"? Re the Limit, my memory serves me correctly. The Owls contingent viewed the club as "their" territory, and were often challenged and beaten [if anyone ever "wins" in such a situation] by the BBC contingent, some of whom I knew, and one of whom I worked with/ was friends with. Who cares now, anyway. All I'll say to you is, don't confuse people in 2004 with the people you vaguely knew back in the 70s. People can develop, both physically and intellectually way beyond your expectations...