Memories of "The Limit" Nightclub

Hey lugosi can help you more than piccies I,ve got the video of the last night of the place. anyone else interested in buying a copy!

I've also got Limit tshirts to be had if anyone is interested!

gzboo,

i was at the closing night (bit of a rip off as i remember!) would be interested in a copy and the t-shirts, can you provide more details?

cheers.

My first visit to The Limit was in 1979 - I was THIRTEEN YEARS OLD! I don't know how I got in but my brother took me to see John Cooper Clarke there. It stank of stale beer, I didn't understand a thing J.C.C was on about only that he used a lot of swear words and I laughed because everyone else did, I drank half a pint of Stella and felt blind drunk, perhaps the reason I couldn't walk properly because of the sticky carpet though!

I loved The Limit after that and went as often as possible. It wasn't like other nightclubs. I hated the poncy pick-up joints like what ever the Top Rank was called after it was no longer the Top Rank, I remember it as Roxy's (Poxy Roxy's, argh!) but I think it was called something else in between.

There was something about the Stella in The Limit Club too. It made you drunk much faster than anywhere else but it wasn't a normal kind of drunk, I'm sure they put chemical alcohol in brown carbonated water!

Towards the end the Limit went down hill completely. It might have always lacked in the decor department but It had a relaxed atmosphere, then all of a sudden it was full of violence and became an unsafe place to go - unless you wanted someone to stick a broken bottle in your face. I think the fights were the main reason it closed down, they couldn't run a business with only a handful of customers who wanted to kill each other!

i used to call in fridays/saturdays,started off in the albert,down to the wop then up the limit, luckiest night ever i got a weekend with the lovely ann, the blonde barmaid at the limit, fantastic days, if it was a bit slack i used to go down to the crazy daisy then double back to the limit.

remember the chippie just below where you got about eight chips in a tray?and there was a little genel that led down to trippet lane,it only had one old street lamp on it,so if you were lucky you could.........................................:clap: :clap:

Tulip went off Ye Limitte when they raised the price of grog to two groats.

Gularscute knows nothing about it. I bet g. doesn't even know what a nightclub is, probably thinks The Leadmill was somewhere they made lead.

Does anyone remember The Limit? - a downstairs nightclub at the bottom of West Street, dingy hole but great night out and incredibly cheap drinks! I used to go all the time between 1986 and 1988.....

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit

Does anyone remember The Limit? - a downstairs nightclub at the bottom of West Street, dingy hole but great night out and incredibly cheap drinks! I used to go all the time between 1986 and 1988.....

yep we all did,and now we spend all our time on here :D oh them were the days:thumbsup:

I bet I used to bump into you all at some point and mumble incoherently! I seem to remember that everyone used to talk to each other as though we all knew each other really well...I used to park myself in the 'Goth Box' an elevated bit beside the DJ box