Memories of "The Limit" Nightclub

Frequent visitor to the Limit from 1980-1984. Saw numerous bands including Killing Joke, The Monochrome Set, The Alarm, U2... I might have some photos somewhere as there was a local "Battle of the Bands" competition held there and I have some slides of a group called the "Ant Hill Mob"... they were friends of some friends and they wanted me to do some promo shots...

Probably have some ticket stubs somewhere...

A full Chapter and more about the Limit club during the Punk and Post-Punk era are included in this!!

'Our Generation' is the unique and very first account of the Punk generation of Sheffield and the local region told by the author and over 150 different and varied voices of the era. From the pre - Punk days and all the way through the summer of hate of 1977 Punk and beyond, the story takes in the many classic gigs, the clothes worn and searches for Identity, the groups formed and broken, the fans, the records, the violence and laughs along with many photos, flyers, rare tickets and memorabilia of the era. The books main focal point is the Punk explosion and its effect on the local youth, but also takes in Mod revivalists, 2-tone fans, New Romantics and passing anecdotes from some of the many well known Punk groups who have played at famous local venues such as Doncaster Outlook, Sheffield Limit club, Rotherham Windmill and Sheffield Top rank. Meetings with some of the most noted Punk generation musicians such as Joe Strummer, Paul Weller and Sid Vicious are also refreshingly told by fans in their own words

This story is about a time of euphoric excitement and life changing experiences when a proportion of our local youth cast caution to the wind and found themselves in the middle of the most explosive, controversial and influential musical revolution since pop music began...this is Sheffield's experience of that time...the story of 'Our Generation'

The book is 444 pages and full of many fantastic Rare and exclusive photographs from private collections, along with countless unique memories and experiences from those who were there at the time. Includes words from Charlie Harper (UK Subs), TV Smith (The Adverts), Jo Callis (The Rezillos) locals Artery, Vice Squad and many more musicians, fans, Punk Rockers, Mod Revivalists, New Romantics and Post-Punk fans. No corporations involved…this is a Do it yourself Punk Rock production and the very first of its kind!

There will initially be a LTD edition run of a 1000 copies available.

Anyone wanting any more information and/or wishing to pre-order the book – which will be £19.99 r.rp direct from myself (the author) ( if pre-ordered before April publication there will be a special pre-order price of £14.99 plus p+p) – contact the author at

rotherpunk@aol.com

Thanks,

Tony

Does anyone know the whereabouts of either former Limit Club owners George Webster and/or Kevin Johnson? I'm after a chat with them on a couple of things I'm writing on the venue's major contribution to music/youth culture over the years and their own memories. Please email Neil at: nightclubbing2258@yahoo.co.uk

went to limit a few times in my youth .I remember seeing The Macc lads there and Eddie **** . Now he was a sore for sore eyes but a good laugh.

I do miss the limit and rebels for that matter .

I first when't to The Limit in 1983, best club Iv'e ever set foot in, wish it was still open.

Our Generation the Punk and Mod children of Sheffield, Rotherham and Doncaster book (which includes a complete chapter and more on the Limit club) is now available to buy from the following outlets...Phillip Howard books Wickersley Rotherham...Jacks records Division Street Sheffield....HMV Sheffield Fargate (from Tuesday) and online 'Bored Teenagers' Punk site and from myself at rotherpunk@aol.com there are some extracts from the book on the Punk77 and Bored Teenagers sites.

'OUR GENERATION' IS AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE FROM SHEFFIELD VISION SITE, EBAY, AMAZON, BORED TEENAGERS(DETOUR RECORDS SITE) WH.SMITH, HMV (SHEFFIELD AND LOCAL STORES) JACKS RECORDS (SHEFFIELD) OR DIRECT FROM MYSELF (THE AUTHOR) AT rotherpunk@aol.com

'Our Generation' is the unique and very first account of the Punk generation of Sheffield and the local region told by the author and over 150 different and varied voices of the era. From the pre - Punk days and all the way through the summer of hate of 1977 Punk and beyond, the story takes in the many classic gigs, the clothes worn and searches for Identity, the groups formed and broken, the fans, the records, the violence and laughs along with many photos, flyers, rare tickets and memorabilia of the era. The books main focal point is the Punk explosion and its effect on the local youth, but also takes in Mod revivalists, 2-tone fans, New Romantics and passing anecdotes from some of the many well known Punk groups who have played at famous local venues such as Doncaster Outlook, Sheffield Limit club, Rotherham Windmill and Sheffield Top Rank. Meetings with some of the most noted Punk generation musicians such as Joe Strummer, Paul Weller and Sid Vicious are also refreshingly told by fans in their own words.

This story is about a time of euphoric excitement and life changing experiences when a proportion of our local youth cast caution to the wind and found themselves in the middle of the most explosive, controversial and influential musical revolution since pop music began...this is Sheffield's experience of that time...the story of 'Our Generation'

The book is 444 pages and full of many fantastic Rare and exclusive photographs from private collections, along with countless unique memories and experiences from those who were there at the time. Includes words from Charlie Harper (UK Subs), TV Smith (The Adverts), Jo Callis (The Rezillos) and many more musicians, fans, Punk Rockers, Mod Revivalists, New Romantics and Post-Punk fans. No corporations involved…this is a 'Do it yourself' Punk Rock production and the very first of its kind!

Our Generation: The Punk and Mod Children of Sheffield, Rotherham and Doncaster 1976 – 1985

Words from those who have read it so far!

Great stuff, a must for anyone who was there of course; but also a good insight into the whole era. I thoroughly enjoyed it! (Arturo Bassick – Lurkers/999)

Fascinating reading and a right trip down memory lane (Jo Callis – Rezillos)

I love the book. Such passion! (Tim Downes – TV Smith/The Adverts website)

A true Punk Rock book: Honest, vibrant and passionate. Highly recommended – my book of the year so far (Phil Singleton - God save the Sex Pistols site)

As more and more Punk tomes cram the shelves, it’s books like this, telling of the experiences of ordinary kids miles away from the King’s Road, that are proving to be the most interesting and revealing (Shane Baldwin – Record Collector magazine)

It really made me smile and when I finished it, it was a satisfying feeling. (Michael Day – Sheffield Punk and singer with Sheffield Post-Punk group Tsi-Tsa)

Beesley’s enthusiasm is infectious (Rachael Clegg – Sheffield Telegraph)

A real labour of love, a huge amount of work must have gone into it. I like the fact that people get to speak who maybe weren't in bands or were but their bands never made it, and also how the music and attitude influenced their lives (Richard Chatterton – Rotherham Punk Rocker)

It's brilliant, well done (Alyn Currie – Punk Rock Posters website)

It pulls you in from the very first paragraph. I can’t recommend this book enough! (Sally Burton – South Yorkshire Times)

It is AWESOME!!! For those hours of reading sessions I am back there....Thanks for doing this book and giving me something I can hopefully use to explain one day to my grandkids what all the fuss was about (Wayne Kenyon – Doncaster Punk/Skinhead and musician - Skin-Deep/Monte Carlo Safecrackers)

I have to say its bloody brilliant! This book is essential. (Duncan Payne – Sheffield Post-Punk fan and football author)

I used to go to the Limit every weekend with my sister in the early 80's. i loved it thought it was great. Later on though we started going to Josephine's.

The book 'Our Generation: The Punk and Mod children of Sheffield, Rotherham and Doncaster 1976 - 1985' now has an official website...

http://ourgenerationpunkandmod.co.uk/default.html

Like the book itself the site is put together in the true Punk style of Do it yourself'...Up until less than 2 weeks ago I had never attempted this sort of thing...

I need reviews of Punk gigs, Punk books, cd's anything related really...as long as its honest and unbiased I will endeavour to put it on the site...

Already on there, I have put some photos from the book that didn't make it to the book, page extracts, gig reviews, Book reviews and much more...

Feel free to join in...lets make the site something special...

Tony

go there .. i used to just about live there.. actually i just came on here to say hi to 'english mike' if he still reads this.. have a nice 'day' if you don't mind the pun..

Oh what a treat to find this post . I used to live in the limit 3 times a week in the early 80's god i loved the place , sticky carpet , knackered toilets , small stage that we all used to prat about on , girls in lads toilets , lads in girls toilets, sharing bright red lipstickand black eye liner and hair dyed all colours with crazy colour from impulse ( or just use felt tip pen ) plastic glasses , ace music.

Then racing off to get the last bus home at 2.15 am then a mile long walk from the bus stop

god take me back i miss it !!!

go there .. i used to just about live there.. actually i just came on here to say hi to 'english mike' if he still reads this.. have a nice 'day' if you don't mind the pun..

QED - you seem to have me at a disadvantage and that makes for a less than nice day (lol) and that makes me less than a happy "day". (for the rest of you I am Michael "Daisy" Day and I live in the USA ergo the Have a nice "day")

So reveal yourself or just remind me if I am so old that I have forgotten who you are.

"I saw it happen, you saw it happen, I saw it happen, it must be true"