Memories of "The Limit" Nightclub

Hiya,

I lived in the limit almost seven days a week.Knew most of the faces.Used to live in the same area as Tiny (Ian Squires) There was big Tiny and little Tiny who was Ian.Also, Tank, trigger and Delroy.Went with Trigger and all the lads to see Dingo and Ellie get married.I think the 'Do' was at The New inn on hemsworth Road.

I used to hang out with Pat and Sue, Ian Williams, Gordon,Deano and Dawn, trish and Mick, My mate Jan,Mick and Laura,Dean S. The bloke people mention with red hair and glasses who used to dance to everything was My cousin , Beezer! Also used to go down there with my cousin, Jerry.I worked withMick Fidler in my younger days.I used to love going up west street prior to The Limit, everyone knew everyone else, like a big, cool family.

I started going in there when they had tablecloths and flowers on the tables ..Yes really!We soon kicked that into touch didn't we?!!!

I Knew Dingo and Ellie well and also Tiny trigger Delroy and the rest of the crew and my name was Deano. R u taliking about Ian Williams from the gleadless Valley that died when he was about 24-25.

I Knew Dingo and Ellie well and also Tiny trigger Delroy and the rest of the crew and my name was Deano. R u taliking about Ian Williams from the gleadless Valley that died when he was about 24-25.

Hiya,

I probably knew you too then! So many memories of that place and people. Yes, Ian Williams did die young, of an overdose.

I'm trying to think who you are????

I saw Tom Robinson and Sector 27. First gay men who I ever (knowingly - I had a sheltered upbringing) spoke with.

Stop Press (lol) - they looked and spoke like normal men!

Well they would,it's their other practices that are...er.. a bit different. :hihi:

My goodness WhiteHorses, I must know you!! I was known as Daisy back then and I was also at Dingo and Ellie's wedding at the New inn on Hemsworth rd. We all used to hang out in the Golden Ball at 8 p.m. and then go to the Three Tuns down the street and that was trigger, delroy and a whole huge gang of folks who would finally end up wandering the west street area. Used to know Ian Williams and a bunch of his friends as well - bought one of my first motorbikes from him actually.

happy Days

I remember you Daisy are you still in contact with Dingo.The last time I saw him they had entered the battle of the Bands in london. It was set up by Michelle Hatter and Anthony Neal. Dingo always wanted make it in the world of music. Back to the Limit it was a great place and a very special atmosphere for the bands that visited the club that may be the reason they all seemed to come back again and again. Oh yes " Happy Days"

I need lots of interesting stories from anyone who went to the limit club from 1978 to 1981 and all the punk gigs there...I am writing a book about those times so anyone interested please email me at rotherpunk@aol.com

I remember you Daisy are you still in contact with Dingo.The last time I saw him they had entered the battle of the Bands in london. It was set up by Michelle Hatter and Anthony Neal. Dingo always wanted make it in the world of music. Back to the Limit it was a great place and a very special atmosphere for the bands that visited the club that may be the reason they all seemed to come back again and again. Oh yes " Happy Days"

I haven't talked to Dingo for some years - I have been in America for the last 20 so I lost touch with a few folks along the way. I just had a visit from Brad Charlesworth who was the bass player in a fine Sheffield group - The Negatives, and we were laughing about some times in the Limit. how about the following:

"Steve to the Wine Bar"

Songs - japan - Life in Tokyo, Punishment of Luxury - The puppet

Stella at the Wine bar and Blue Nun (the height of luxury)

I bartended there for a while on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. tuesday was reggae night and they had some top class bands playing there, Steel Pulse, Black Uhuru, Sly and Robbie. Wednesday was an off night and Thursday was nuts because it was Students and Nurses night - two peniless groups that could drink huge quantities of cheap, watered down beer. Steve and Paul attended my 21st birthday party and invited everyone to the limit free afterwards, there were some good guys working there - even the bouncers. Some of the names on previous posts brought back a lot of memories.

Hi there,

Are you, by any chance called Steve ? who has contributed some accounts from the Punk days to my book ?. If so can I use some of your qoutes on the forum to put in there?

Tony

Still needing any memories of the Punk era for my book and any stories from Punks, Mods, Skinheads, new romantics...anything at all..contact me at rotherpunk@aol.com

I worked in the Limit when it first opened, behind the bar and in the kitchen!!

I also have an original t-shirt - doesn't fit any more but its part of my memories, some good some not and I still love the song 'Take me to the Limit'!

The stickiest foor was always the Wap not the Limit!!!

Carpet? Wap?

Well I have been dragged into the ladies a few times and there was a carpet in there. Rest of place was industrial standard dull orangey-brown lino.. Covered in goo..

You wern't in there in the good old days then!! Carpet it was!!!

Didn't The Limit sell what was known by many punters as 'loony lager'?

Was the brand Holstein, or somthing German-sounding like that.

It was the sort of place you only went to when you'd had a few too many.

The carpets were disgusting but I always found the atmosphere okay.

Saw Teardrop Explodes, The Beat and The Alarm there.

What would be Sheffield's equivalent of The Limit these days?

Yes it did got drunk on it many times!!!

Hi there I use to go there too yrs ago and knew Gary Green very well & Steve Baxendale.

Lost touch with them as I left for London the US & now live in France!

Great memories might have to organise a meet with all of the old faces its just a shame I dont remember all the names!!

Hope all are well

Love n Hugs

Lynne:love: