Rate the last book you read

Good for you, I'm going on holiday next week and I'm sure I'll see much more popular fiction than people trying to appear intelligent reading tosh like that, if this thread was to be believed most of the popular authors would be starving, I'll be taking a rollicking good Lee Child book to pass the time.

Well on the last page I saw Alan Partridge, Michael Connelly and James Paterson. Hardly Euripides or Rimbaud.

Well on the last page I saw Alan Partridge, Michael Connelly and James Paterson. Hardly Euripides or Rimbaud.

When you've time read the whole thread, you'll find a load of people purporting to read drivel to appear more intelligent, I'd like to know how many of the books were actually finished.

I have never left a book unfinished. I took me seven years to read Samuel Pepys’s Diaries.

I read 'Joyland' by Stephen King yesterday. Was a quick easy read but I really liked the characters.

Enjoyed it, 8/10

When you've time read the whole thread, you'll find a load of people purporting to read drivel to appear more intelligent, I'd like to know how many of the books were actually finished.

Well funnily enough, I only put books on that I've read mate

I have never left a book unfinished. I took me seven years to read Samuel Pepys’s Diaries.

It took him 9 years to write them!!! :o lol

The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco.

OK but a bit of a slog and with a very large nod in the direction of Foucault's Pendulum with its conspiracies of Jesuits and Masons.

This one concentrates more on the various conspiracies and plots against European Jews in Italy, France, Prussia and Russia in the late nineteenth century. The main character turns out to have been at the heart of most of the conspiracies at the time including the Dreyfus Affair and The Protocols of Zion.

Not a book for somebody not familiar with Nineteenth Century European politics, although some of the food references are wonderful and had me googling various offal dishes and such like.

Orphan of Islam, by Alexander Khan.

A good read, interesting and shocking in places.

8/10

Mainstream and entertaining:

Ben Aaronovitch, Rivers of London and Moon over Soho: Police procedural mets Jasper Fforde, with many allusions to Harry Potter and touches of Christopher Fowler's Bryant & May. Tense, funny, recommended. Currently reading part 3: Whispers Underground.

The Cuckoo's Calling: LEAGUES better than The Casual Vacancy. Magic happens when Rowling's talent is guided by a really good editor. Looking forward to more like this.

A Darkness More Than Light by Michael Connelly.

A decent page turner. Some good stuff about Hieronymus Bosch (the painter, not the character) but not memorable tbh.

Before I Go To Sleep -SJ Watson, bit of a page grabber for me.Excellent.