Rate the last book you read

Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell. Excellent, probably better if you haven't seen the film but marvellously evocative writing either way. Knocking hard on Cormac McCarthy's door.

..but worth it for the spiders' web!

Eeeww it was horrible!

Loved the "I could cheerfully shoot the guy who wrote those bloody horror books about rats" line though!

Just finished The Stand, started David Copperfield last night, I might have a go back to Frankenstein. 1st time I had a go found it heavy, but loved Dracula, lately seem to be reading quite a bit of Dickens work excellent.

:thumbsup: luv The Stand, am currently reading Kings Dark Tower Series, am 3/4's through Book 7 (The Dark Tower) and have got The Wind Through The Keyhole lined up next, then maybe back to The Stand or It.

I have EVERY SK book he has written :)

The Last Coyote by Michael Connelly.

Good enough thriller, nothing memorable but a decent page turner.

Currently reading the Island (fallen earth)(Michael Stark) it's over 5 books I'm currently on book 3, really enjoying them

Edited by Bypassblade

Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling.

Primarily concerns the affairs of middle class NIMBYs and their fight on their small villiage council to be dissasociated with a nearby overspill estate.

The book was slated, and I can kind of see why. It's overwritten with carelessly used adverbs and imprecise adjectives. She's trying too hard to be a writer, when all she has to do is relax and tell the tale. I felt that some scenes could have been culled, and were only there because she'd thought of a clever way of saying something, rather than because they added anything to the character or story.

That said, it was still a great read. She has written snobbery and poverty with equal realism. The first scene we're introduced to the toddler Robbie Whedon and his junkie mother left me feeling really disturbed, if only for its believability, and I gave my daughter an extra cuddle because of it.

In short, ignore the critics, don't be put off by the books size, and don't expect a kids story just because it's Rowling (an early scene set around a breakfast table has a lot of words beginning with F, and then a few beginning with C. I was genuinely shocked, and said aloud, "how does she know them words?")

Edited by FatDave

It's not like me to read something that could loosely be called a romcom, but I've just finished One Day by David Nicholls. I enjoyed it, in that it was funny, and very readable (obviously one eye on the screenplay already when he wrote it) and it struck a variety of chords; I think the reason I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the people who wrote the blurbs on the cover was that I found both of the main characters a pain in the butt. But if you enjoyed Starter for Ten, you'll enjoy this as well.

Worth Dying For...Lee Child.

6/10

Not quite sure about the 5ft something Tom Cruise playing the 6'4 Jack Reacher in the film though. Maybe I should reserve judgement until I've seen it!

Worth Dying For...Lee Child.

6/10

Not quite sure about the 5ft something Tom Cruise playing the 6'4 Jack Reacher in the film though. Maybe I should reserve judgement until I've seen it!

Yeah, do. The film is a belter. This is speaking as someone who hasn't read any of the books, and I do understand fan loyalty.

Fifty Shades 10/10

As John MacEnroe would say...

"You cannot be serious!"

World War Z: An Oral History Of The Zombie War by Max Brooks

Really entertaining read. The Brad Pitt movie is going to be terrible though as they're no way to film the novel as a star vehicle.