Accident on Snake Pass 20/03/09

Overtaking on the Snake Pass is dangerous and idiotic.

Is this what happened?

Not at all, you seem to want to attack me, whereas I said that you were wrong about bunching on single carriageway roads.

I was responding to your incorrect comments, not going off topic as you were.

And I know something about bunching, flow rates, laminar flow and so one, which apparently you don't.

So no. Not hypocritical in the least.

Yeah, you're quite right - everyone should drive as fast as they can, smoking their tyres during both acceleration and deceleration. Not only that, but they should drive as close to the car in front as possible, preferably ramming it out of the way, and if they can't do that, they should get off the road and go buy a bigger car! :rolleyes: It all makes perfect sense - not!

I have the money to buy a faster car than I have, much faster in fact, but I feel no need to because I don't need to prove anything and, besides, I get all the thrills I need carnally!

Overtaking on the Snake Pass is dangerous and idiotic.

Is this what happened?

It certainly is dangerous and idiotic, and I've seen the results of it! :gag:

I love blasting around the snake, its one of the best streches in the country where you can really give your car the beans. It wouldnt be a bad Rally stage either.

Heres to a speedy recovery to the O.P.

See you in ITU Yakubu! :hihi:

I used to live out past Rivelin post office and can't recall the number of times the road has been closed due to accidents as it's massive, accidents involving cars and bikes (together and seperately). As a biker I know that bikers tend to come off worse as was the case with most of the accidents involving bikes. I nearly lost my missus off the back of the bike up there once, not due to speed or a car but a damn pheasant, she took it pretty much full in the face........broken visor (and nose) with lots of blood n 'bird juice' everywhere :gag: gave us a hell of a shock I can say

Considering the number of sharp and blind bends on the Snake and the lack of straight bits to overtake, I'd say you would have to speed to safely get around a vehicle.

That really depends on how fast the vehicle your overtaking is going doesn't it.

Yeah, you're quite right - everyone should drive as fast as they can, smoking their tyres during both acceleration and deceleration. Not only that, but they should drive as close to the car in front as possible, preferably ramming it out of the way, and if they can't do that, they should get off the road and go buy a bigger car! :rolleyes: It all makes perfect sense - not!

I have the money to buy a faster car than I have, much faster in fact, but I feel no need to because I don't need to prove anything and, besides, I get all the thrills I need carnally!

You seem to be confused (and a little angry).

You made a statement about bunching which was wrong, I corrected you.

Now you're just making rubbish up, which happens to be wrong again and stupid to boot. Did you have a point, or are you just upset that you don't understand how traffic flows?

In case you forgot due to your brain overheating.

and slowing down traffic has been shown to have the opposite effect to bunching-up!

On a motorway yes. On a single carriage road, no

That was it. I didn't say anything about driving as fast as possible, or the rest of your diatribe, just pointed out that slowing down a single carriage road increases bunching, not reduces it.

Edited by Cyclone

"I have the money to buy a faster car than I have, much faster in fact, but I feel no need to because I don't need to prove anything and, besides, I get all the thrills I need carnally!"...Dhimmi

Ah! The joys of fast women, eh? <g>

Speed is relative and needn't be excessive to overtake a family saloon, the occupants of which are crawling along admiring the scenery, for example... as Cyclone has said. Though it's best to overtake a slower-moving vehicle quickly and cleanly, using the optimum power-bands... leaving some acceleration in reserve.

Talking of relative, I hope the the relatives of the driver of the car under discussion will ask him to choose their lottery numbers in future... After reading what Tonyem posted, it's for sure that 'somebody up there' smiles fondly on this guy!

"I have the money to buy a faster car than I have, much faster in fact, but I feel no need to because I don't need to prove anything and, besides, I get all the thrills I need carnally!"...Dhimmi

Ah! The joys of fast women, eh? <g>

Speed is relative and needn't be excessive to overtake a family saloon, the occupants of which are crawling along admiring the scenery, for example... as Cyclone has said. Though it's best to overtake a slower-moving vehicle quickly and cleanly, using the optimum power-bands... leaving some acceleration in reserve.

Talking of relative, I hope the the relatives of the driver of the car under discussion will ask him to choose their lottery numbers in future... After reading what Tonyem posted, it's for sure that 'somebody up there' smiles fondly on this guy!

My bold in red. I see that you share the same misconception that a car travelling at 70mph is going "slowly" because it's a "family saloon"! You (and we) would be a lot better off if you would pay more attention to what's coming in the opposite direction than calculating your "power bands"! And we'd be a lot better off if you weren't crippled by silly pre-conceived ideas about the speed certain types of vehicles travel at.

I bet you think that a car goes faster if it's got 'go faster stripes' down the side! :rolleyes:I had a little brown car once, which had people like you up its exhaust pipe all day long, even when I was driving well in excess of the speed limit, but when I got a car with a spoiler and go faster stripes (not a fast car, just cheap), people kept their distance, even when I was going very slowly, because they thought I was going quicker. Perhaps it was because they thought anyone with a spoiler was likely to do something stupid! I wouldn't drive a car with a body kit these days, no matter how cheap it was! :hihi:

Ironic then, if you were to hit Cyclone head-on whilst overtaking me, whilst both you and Cyclone were concentrating on your respective dashboard instrumentation to calculate your thrust vectors or whatever! :hihi: One day it may well happen to you, or something similar will, and I hope I'm not around when it does!

You seem to be confused (and a little angry).

You made a statement about bunching which was wrong, I corrected you.

Now you're just making rubbish up, which happens to be wrong again and stupid to boot. Did you have a point, or are you just upset that you don't understand how traffic flows?

In case you forgot due to your brain overheating.

That was it. I didn't say anything about driving as fast as possible, or the rest of your diatribe, just pointed out that slowing down a single carriage road increases bunching, not reduces it.

You couldn't correct me if you tried, because you're wrong. I see it is you who is angry! :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I've had a great day, so chill.

No, I'm not bothered at all, you were quite clearly angry though.

How do you reckon reducing the speed reduces bunching on a single carriage road then genius? Have you ever heard of laminar flow, that's why bunching is reduced on multi lane roads if the limit is reduced, it doesn't apply on a single lane.

Bunching occurs on the snake when someone drives inappropriately slowly and because of limited overtaking options. If everyone drove over it at a reasonable speed no one would ever catch the vehicle ahead and there'd be no bunch. You can see what happens when a lorry goes over at 40mph, there's a huge queue behind it when it reaches the other side, that's a bunch and that's caused by not alleviated by the reduced speed.

I see in your response to Psuedonym that you can't undestand simple English either, or are just inventing things again with your reference to 70mph (on a 50mph limited road no less).

Given your attitude towards driving I think it's more likely to be you than me involved in an accident somewhere one day. I don't overtake inappropriately on the snake, I do think that the 50 limit is too low though.

You still seem rather upset about being wrong about this whole bunching thing though, do you always have to be right?

Dhimmi... As a purported reply to me, your post is a load of nonsense, sunshine... The only part that makes any sense is your tag-line! ;)