Accident on Snake Pass 20/03/09

I used to travel over the Snake Pass 20 years ago quite often and what truly annoyed me were business reps who thought they were smarter than the rest of us. Talk about taking chances and not giving a fig about other motorists.

The Snake Pass is a road which deserves respect. There are plenty of decent places to overtake but you need to know where they are. Sadly, I can understand how drivers get irritated with motorists who won't go above the speed limit, usually driving significantly lower than the speed limit and who jam the breaks on at every corner and sometimes even if there's traffic coming towards them. This leads to frustration and dangerous driving.

I thought I'd take a look at this thread today, to see how the young guy was. Thank the Gods he's alive! I was in the next-to-last car he overtook, just after Doctor's Gate, (listened to that engine topping-out, "NnnnnRRRRRGGGHHHHH") before he clipped the oncoming Land-Rover. It was a hell of a bang, mate, and I congratulate you on your lucky escape. I don't think there was a piece of your Mini-Cooper(?) left bigger than a manhole-cover (except the bit of front suspension which you were found underneath). Your mate (passenger) was desperate to get help for you, said you were 'missing' (before you were found under the wreckage) and was in shock, naturally, but fought on to get you help. What people should know about that stretch of road is that - There Is No (normal) Mobile Phone Signal, as there is no mast - The ambulance and other Emergency services were called from the Public Phone (land-line) at the Snake Inn, 1.5 - 2 miles down the road, and got there by 7:45 -1/2 hour after the accident. A young man and his wife/girlfriend (Glossop bound) turned straight round to call them, in that terrible first 60 seconds after the crash. 3 or 4 first-aiders went to your rescue. Everybody moved quickly, and that's sometimes the difference. The Police were first told your chances were "touch & go". Good outcome, then, and lucky for you the LandRover driver wasn't killed. Don't speed on the Snake, now and in future, but I guess you don't need to be told anymore.. Good Luck.

PS: The bloke you must thank is the mate of the Land-Rover driver, travelling behind his mate, in a 2nd (I think) LandRover. He found you, cleared the wreckage away, and started to look after you, first off, and stayed with you until the ambulances got there.

Doesn't sound like speed was the issue at all if what you say is correct. It was an inappropriate overtake that was the problem.

I love blasting around the snake, its one of the best streches in the country where you can really give your car the beans. It wouldnt be a bad Rally stage either.

Heres to a speedy recovery to the O.P.

Doesn't sound like speed was the issue at all if what you say is correct. It was an inappropriate overtake that was the problem.

But if he hadn't been speeding he wouldn't have had to overtake.

But if he hadn't been speeding he wouldn't have had to overtake.

How do you know that? Unless you were there it might be that the car at the front of the queue was doing 35 mph. Or it was a lorry and nobody else would overtake when they could have done.

I've been in both those situations on that road, so I've overtaken lots of times without speeding.

Your logic is extremely simple at best if to you overtaking==speeding.

Just to clear things up - He overtook two cars at once, my Jag and a "Scenic"(?) in front of me - I think he was doing 75-80, and I know he was overtaking on a blind (trees) right hander, just after the "car park", at the bottom of the hill east of Doctors Gate. He j-u-s-t got in front of the Scenic, then he clipped th Land-Rover. My first thought was "**CENSORED**..., but he's just made it..", as he cut in. Then (about 0.5 of a second later) -KaBoom-

Just to clear things up - He overtook two cars at once, my Jag and a "Scenic"(?) in front of me - I think he was doing 75-80, and I know he was overtaking on a blind (trees) right hander, just after the "car park", at the bottom of the hill east of Doctors Gate. He j-u-s-t got in front of the Scenic, then he clipped th Land-Rover. My first thought was "**CENSORED**..., but he's just made it..", as he cut in. Then (about 0.5 of a second later) -KaBoom-

Did you stay to make a statement to the police? If you got a good view of the collision, and what lead up to it, you need to.

Did you stay to make a statement to the police? If you got a good view of the collision, and what lead up to it, you need to.

They've got my details and those of other witnesses. I was told I would be contacted to make a statement.

Your logic is extremely simple at best if to you overtaking==speeding.

Considering the number of sharp and blind bends on the Snake and the lack of straight bits to overtake, I'd say you would have to speed to safely get around a vehicle.

I have never had any problems on this road.

The problems occur when people buy crap cars with poor handling and drive them too fast.

Another one, and this is a big one, is when people fit the cheapest pieces of **** tyres to their car and lose control.

Why do people go fo rthe cheapest option when buying tyres? They are the ONLY contact with the road.

They ought to be banned in the EU entirely.