'I'm telling ya, ya wanna breed him'

Was in Graves park enjoying the sunshine yesterday with the dog.

Overheard the above from two kids, teenagers, walking two staffies. 'People pay good money for staffy pups'

I think my jaw dropped.

Good god! I think we already have enough around don't we?

They are obviously in for the money by the sounds of it!!!

Suppose it's true they do pay...well money anyway, pity that doesn't encourage more to keep them after the cute puppy phase has worn off :rant:

I'd have stuck my nose in and said 'they did LAST year' - people are drowning 'em again now, coz nobody wants 'em'

The problem is imo, that at least half of the population of this country (maybe more) are totally unaware that rescue centres even exist, let alone that they are full of staffys. I was told last night my a member of their staff that Thornberry have 16 in.

16!!!!! thats just ridiculous.:o

Lots of people come into my shop who think the only way to obtain a pedigree dog is to either breed one yourself or buy one from a breeder, when I explain about breed rescues or even that there may be a pedigree dog that they want down the road at the local rescue they are totally gobsmacked!

I agree, but you can't blame the people who buy a dog from a breeder, you can accuse them of ignorance may be for not doing their research, but we have all been inexperienced pet owners at some time or another.

all we (responsible pet owners) can do is to highlight these issues to the people we see talking about things like this.

I spoke to a lay the other day whilst out with my staff's who was saying that she doesn't take her dogs out for wlaks as they are agressive towards other dogs, but being staffi's she knew there was nothing she could do about it............she left the park after about half an hour of ear bashing from myself and hopfully a little wiser!!!

Poor Staffies :( I'm in the process of buying a new pup at the moment, (not a staffie though), and I came across a gorgeous Staff who had been put in a rescue center after its owners chopped off both it's ears with a pair of scissors and hacked his tail off, just to make him look "hard". I almost cried when I read it, it's so awful what these scummy people do to their dogs to make them look like fighters :(

Poor Staffies :( I'm in the process of buying a new pup at the moment, (not a staffie though), and I came across a gorgeous Staff who had been put in a rescue center after its owners chopped off both it's ears with a pair of scissors and hacked his tail off, just to make him look "hard". I almost cried when I read it, it's so awful what these scummy people do to their dogs to make them look like fighters :(

oh my god thats horrible :(

They should get the pesron who did that to that poor dog and do it to them!!

Would be willing to help them see the error of there ways personally - Some people are just the scum of the earth