DTV reception in Lodgemoor

Just moved into a place in Lodgemoor, and I'm getting a problem with digital TV reception. I know it can be patchy round there, but I can get five, ITV and C4 all the time, most BBC channels during they day (they break up or simply report 'no signal' after the sun goes down) and I've never been able to get channels such as Dave or Film4. Adding a signal amplifier doesn't make any difference (which makes me think it's an aerial problem?)

The aerial is pointing towards Emily Moor, and it's mounted on the chimney stack, but doesn't look particularly modern.

Anyone got any idea of the problem, or failing that recommend a good aerial installer?

Thanks!

Normally, if you get a good pic on all 5 channels (analogue stations) then it is possible that you will get good freeview, which is more critical of a clean aerial signal. Look at surrounding aerials to get an idea of which transmitter may be favoured. The later aerials are broadband type which are more suitable. Ring round and you should get a quote over the phone, describe the type of property and the existing installation. I have recommended several people to an aerial rigger whose address is on Colley Road (I think) S5 and is very competative on price and quality.

Edited by carosio

We rely solely on the satellite dish for our reception, otherwise we're left with nothing.

Strange when you consider we're practically on top of the world.

try pointing it at Crosspool transmitter and doing a full channel re scan.....thats far nearer than Emley moor

If changing transmitter you'll most likely need a new aerial (depending on what group it is on). Also Crosspool is vertically polarised.

Emley Moor requires a B group aerial (avoid these widebands if you change - though a decent fitter should supply the correct type)

I'd recommend these:

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/emleymoortx.html

Forget your aerial here in lodge moor, its useless.

Sky is your only option (trust me, i've wasted £'s on the best aerial, cable & amp!!!).

If changing transmitter you'll most likely need a new aerial (depending on what group it is on). Also Crosspool is vertically polarised.

Emley Moor requires a B group aerial (avoid these widebands if you change - though a decent fitter should supply the correct type)

I'd recommend these:

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/emleymoortx.html

You are correct in advising on a Group B for Emley Moor, although a wideband is advised for Crosspool because of Channel 5 (analogue).

HI

My name is james. i am a local RDI registered engineer . freeview can be a pain in the backside. if you want any free addvice or a free quotation please give me a call on 07766256034 or you can have a look at my website http://www.aboveallaerials.com

THANKS

freeview works fine at Lodge Moor, but I guess depends if you are low down towards Fulwood or up on the actual highest bit.....if you can see the golf course, reception is fine....Crosspool is the preferred transmitter, can aslo receive stations from Emley Moor and one transmitter based in the North East which provides what used to be the 'Tyne Tees' ITV region... also a signal from a transmitter that provides the former 'Central' ITV region can be picked up, although its a bit faint, down in leicestershire somewhere I think....on analogue you can get 3 BBC and ITV 'regions' anyway.....in the old days when all ITV regions were quite different from each other, often had the choice of 3 different afternoon films or repeats, etc....on digital freeview this means 3 different service regions too if you have a very good Aeriel and quality freeview box, but only relevant if you want to watch the Newcastle or Nottingham areas local news programmes, which I very much doubt....

Edited by goldenfleece

I think the old Tyne Tees transmitter is Bilsdale, a good 70 miles I would say from South Sheff, while Central is most likely Waltham. Also have Belmont to the SE. The beauty of Sheffield, the hills mean we all use a variety of transmitters.

Get Sky and have done!

Did I mention I'm on the lookout for a new "friend" to have Sky so we can both get a Sky plus box for free!:thumbsup::hihi:

Jim

I have a friend in S10 who gets full freeview down his old analogue aerial (i.e. didnt have to do anything) so you can't be far off?

In my experience, if you can get partial freeview then it is very promising that the potential is there for an aerial installer to fix it up.

A flat I used to rent in Chessa was a no no on the postcode checker. But I went and bought a box anyway. With a amplifier also, I could get the set of basic digital BBC channels but that was it. I've later learned that the BBC mux on DTV is higher power than the rest because of its Public Service status, so it's a common result. Got an aerial man out, he swapped the aerial itself and bingo, got the lot and 100% stable.

He need did persuading to start only with the aerial though. You MUST have noticed the masses of unsighly 6ft masts springing up on houses for DTV. I think they are an absolute eye sore myself. He warned me that the cable was thin and old and might need replacing too, (it didn't look very thick) but we agreed to worry about that after trying a new aerial.

It depends if you're bothered about the aesthetics or not, but some installers seem to go all in on fitting a huge pole, new aeriel and new cable run as a standard install take it or leave it. This is probably quicker for the installer and guarantee's least fuss, but if you want the simplest solution i'd encourage you to have the installer work through step by step.

In my current house in Chessa, im getting full DTV through a digital aerial in the loft. To begin there was an old analogue aerial in there. I could get about 50% freeview. The installer said he wouldn't dream of fitting a loft aerial for DTV, but because I was getting 50% already, he was happy to give it a go. Aerial swapout and new amplifer and bingo.

Edited by jaycee331
sp.