Restaurant Reviews for Sheffield

Hello Sheffield Foodies,

I know that theres already a website out there that allows people to look at every restaurant in Sheffield and read reviews about them, but I was wondering if we could start something like that on here?

I got the idea last night when I discovered this fantastic, independant restaurant on Ecclesall Road after finding a lot of other places had stopped serving food for the night. I wondered if we could have a sub-section on the Sheffield Foodies section of the Sheffield Forum offering reviews of restaurants in Sheffield?

Btw the place I ate at was Uncle Sams Diner, complete heaven! Lovely food, in which there was plenty of it, a good range of condiments and lovely service! The decor was great and it was cheap aswell! I'd recommend going there as not only is it great, but it's a good way to support an independant restaurant thanks!!

So what does everybody think then?

I think this is a good idea. I'd definately use it - I'd base some of my decisions on where I went out to eat on what I read, and I would also write my reviews too on my own experiences. Good thinking.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the encouraging post, I'm glad you think it's a good idea, hopefully other people will think so too!

I would definitely use this service too as sometimes you see a place you'd like to eat at, but you're just not sure about it. I think it would be a good thing to be able to tell people whether a place is good to eat at or not, so all we need is some reviewers!

Thanks Tas1,

I have had a look at that site and it looks good, but it doesn't have as many restaurants reviews listed on there as I would like.

I thought about forummers writing reviews on here because a lot of people from Sheffield use this site and I thought it might be more useful to write a review on here where there's more chance of it being read than on another website.

So what's the best place to eat in Sheffield then?

Best place to eat? Depends what you want.

I'll offer a quick review for you...

If you fancy something Latin American then try Las Iguanas in West1, I'm a regular there and me and my OH adore it. Great food, relaxed atmosphere with smiley, friendly staff and the prices aren't bad either. i actually met my OH there and we celebrated our 6 month aniversary there and I've made converts out of every friend I've ever taken there too. I also suspect my OH is planning to pop the question there at some point too... :suspect:

I like the idea of maybe a pinned thread in the foodie section. Thing is to be useful it needs to be just reviews, and not discussion of reviews otherwise you end up having to wade through pages and pages of discussion to find the reviews.

I don't know how it would work admin wise but I don't know if it could be a closed thread with a couple of people who 'manage it' and received reviews from other people and post them up?

Or done on a trust basis that people don't discuss in it.

There could be another thread to discuss the reviews maybe.

i think this would be very useful too, I do like to eat out and there are so many restaurants I fancy trying it could be a good means of narrowing them down.

I also would contribute reviews.

Oh yes, it would also need to be quite well managed to keep it current. If it beca,e a long term things I think it would be worthwhile to remove older reviews - quality can change quite quickly if staff change etc.

The good:

Dim sum Chinese on london road - apparently some of the best dim sum to be found in the country personally found it to be really tasty with plenty of choice & good value (satay whelks were great).

Pho 68 Vietnamese on London road - delicious - had an enormous bowl of beef pho noodles which had the best broth ever, again really good value.

The bad:

Las Iguanas - we had the latin tapas these were really bland, wont bother again. that said they do a good deal on cocktails during the happy hours

wok mania - not only soul-less, but many of the fried starters are also filling-less, never before have I had a sesame prawn toast with no prawn.

As a former Moderator I used to amend any thread titles relating to restaurants into 'Insert name of restaurant here: Your opinions...