Stocksbridge

I appreciate that this is a probably a reflection of todays society, but over the past year or so i cannot help but notice the amount of youth (and not so youth) so off their heads with drink or whatever, it must be very imtimidating to much of the older generation and young kids, to see this.

Stocksbridge has always seemed to have it fair share of oddities, but over the past year, i feel is more and more noticable of the amount of people, and baseball clad youths walking about the area drinking from a can of super strength lager etc, or just totally incapable (awaits the six fingered banjo jibes).

Last friday i was approached on Victoria Rd by 2 older youths (about 20) both were so far gone it was impossible to understand what they said, and had to hold onto a wall to be able to stand (one had urinated himself). Both then attempted to walk up Glebelands carrying a bag of tinnies. But instances like this seems to be more and more noticable all the time, in Stocksbridge.

I know most people enjoy a drink, myself included, but what a waste to think that is your goal everyday, and just seems to be the norm for some people, just to get absulutly incapable. Are these people ever going to contribute to society in any way, and their whole life in front of them to do something with.

I have lived up here some years now and what was once a lovely community is being ruined (no doubt so many breakins to fuel drugs and booze), and have to ask why Sheffield Council is housing so many of these misfits up here.

In these credit crunch times i doubt that the off licenses in Stocky will be feeling the pinch, and probably welcome the additional revenue.

My mother lives in Stocksbridge and its fairly quiet where she is .

Boston I agree with everything you have said. As I sit here typing this, my neighbours house is full of beer swilling, dope smoking chavs who are playing their hard core garage music so loud I have to turn my TV on and up to max to drown out the noise.

These are kids that left school inthe last year or two and think life is only about gettting off their head from 10am until the wee small hours!

The kids up here seem to have no drive, ambition or the will to go out and get themselves a job or college course to try and better their lives. They are just happy to live in the moment - getting drunk and high and it's such a shame. If they only had a spark of ambition or enthusiasm for something other than beer or drugs they would probably be able to achieve great things.

from the letters i have read in look local they claim there is nothing for them to do

YEAH RIGHT!

totally agree by the way with what has been said so far

I left Stocky in 2007 and moved to Heeley. It sounds as though I'm not missing anything, which is a shame as I really liked the area. :( The pubs went downhill though (particularly the miners when Dave left - that was a shame) and there did seem to be an increase in chav scrubbers, although thats seeming to be city wide at the moment.

I left Stocky in 2007 and moved to Heeley. It sounds as though I'm not missing anything, which is a shame as I really liked the area. :( The pubs went downhill though (particularly the miners when Dave left - that was a shame) and there did seem to be an increase in chav scrubbers, although thats seeming to be city wide at the moment.

it cant be no worse than heeley that place used to be full of smackheads .

it cant be no worse than heeley that place used to be full of smackheads .

Absolutely agree. That was my point.

I moved up here because there were no new builds in stocky, which is what we wanted. Regretted it at first because of some chavs and cretins that were around here, but now I think it's everywhere. Sad state of affairs. Stocky used to be really nice! :(

Actually moved to Stocksbridge from Arbourthorne/Heeley area some years ago to what was (and still is in certain parts) such a nice place.

The past 2 years or so has seen such a decline in my opinion, and agree i just see that some of the youth (and not so young), have just no ambition or outlook with life, but to just get drunk or incapable on a daily basis.

Bad parental guidance/schooling or just to blot out their own shortcomings?