Memories of shopping in seventies Sheffield

I worked at a shop called BUBBLE 'N' SQUEAK in the early 70s then moved to manage the WESTERN JEAN COMPANY, the owners Stewart and Charlie owned both shops along with STRANGER (on the moor) I think it was. A loooong time ago,where did it go. I've lived in different parts of the world since then and my memory is not what it used to be.I was in a band called Vehicle,Cary Baylis was on lead guitar,(I'm sure someone must know who I'm talking about) Oh happy days.

Cary Baylis still going strong, plays regularly with the acoustic angels at the Dronfield sports club. He's also written songs for Take That and the Spice girls amongst others I believe.

"Lift up your skirts" was owned by Peter Stringfellow and the council complained about the name, threatening to close it if the name was not changed !

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 22:57 ----------

The Piccalo next to Coles was brill

I thought 'Lift Up Your Skirt's' -inspired by a 'John's Children' (Marc Bolan) song- was owned by a bloke named Roger ???. a Mojo mate of Pete's.

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 00:34 ----------

No one has mentioned Pippy's, it was up a street opposite Suggs I think

and also does anyone know when the Green Shield Stamp shop closed down?

Sugg's were on Castle Street too.

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 00:41 ----------

Thorntons was directly facing the Bus/train Travel Information shop.

Thornton's had shops (Kabin's they called them) all over.

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 00:54 ----------

Although not a store, does 'Big Ada' count, who ran a stall in Dixon Lane ? and was a town centre 'fixture.'

Edited by stpetre
spell

Lift up your skirts and fly was across, and just up the street from Bubble n squeak,I worked at B N S , There is a LIFT UP YOUR SKIRTS shop in London near to where the Queen mum lived.

Hi shanes teeth - I also seem to remember a model shop in Fitzalan Square; there was certainly one there in the 1990s. If it was there in the 1970s it must have opened after 1972, as the 1973 Kelly's Directory makes no mention of it in the White Building (where Wlson Gumpert's was).

Were 'Wilson-Gumpert' and 'Redgate's' later owned by the same family (their name not being in the titles tho')

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 01:26 ----------

Cavendish Woodhouse, Furniture store, High Street, Super Bargain Centre, furniture, Church Street, Cantors furniture, near B&C can't remember the name of the road, C&A, Boots Chemist, High street and the Moor.

That would be Angel Street.

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 01:33 ----------

yeah banners is still there..x

If it makes any difference, Banner's at Attercliffe (they had a smaller version at Page Hall/Firvale) were the first department store outside London to have an escalator.

Were 'Wilson-Gumpert' and 'Redgate's' later owned by the same family (their name not being in the titles tho')

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 01:26 ----------

That would be Angel Street.

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 01:33 ----------

If it makes any difference, Banner's at Attercliffe (they had a smaller version at Page Hall/Firvale) were the first department store outside London to have an escalator.

Hi stpetre,

I used to love a ride on the old wooden escalator at Banners at Attercliffe as a child in the late 1940s/ early 50s. and had a Saturday job there in the early 60s.

I heard that the escalator was shipped to the US when it was removed.

Maybe it's still operating not too far from you eh ?? :)

See the thread ''Shopping in Banners'' and this:- http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/1326-john-banners-department-store-attercliffe-road/

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi stpetre,

I used to love a ride on the old wooden escalator at Banners at Attercliffe as a child in the late 1940s/ early 50s. and had a Saturday job there in the early 60s.

See the thread ''Shopping in Banners'' and this:- http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/1326-john-banners-department-store-attercliffe-road/

Peter.

Thanks PeterR, but wooden escalators are forbidden in public buildings here.

Dixons cameras on the Moor, always had a sale on! Hodgesons cameras in the Arcade off the Moor, when they had a sale the queue stretched all the way down the Arcade. Sheffield Photo Co., very knowledgeable staff. Remember in the early 50's on the roof of Davys Fargate seeing the trams from above which had their individual tram nos. in large white paint on the roof.

Hi stpetre,

Peter.

Re: 'Sheffield History' : "Atterclievians", that's a new one to me, and as for having a Saturday job (1960's), did your feet ever touch the floor in those busy times ?

Re: 'Sheffield History' : "Atterclievians", that's a new one to me, and as for having a Saturday job (1960's), did your feet ever touch the floor in those busy times ?

I didn't need a Saturday job in 1961 as it was part of my working week i.e. 4 hours, as an apprentice on the princely sum of 2 pounds, eighteen and six per week for 44 hours.

I didn't need a Saturday job in 1961 as it was part of my working week i.e. 4 hours, as an apprentice on the princely sum of 2 pounds, eighteen and six per week for 44 hours.

Hi Torontony and stpeter,

Atterclievians is a new one to me but maybe not to the locals eh?

I worked as a clerk at Firth Browns Steelworks but had the Saturday job at Banners, on menswear, to pay the HP on my motor scooter.

The job wasn't so much tiring being busy, but I found it hard standing up all day. We weren't allowed to sit down, like I did at my desk most of the day in my full time job!

Heres me in 1961 aged 17.

IMG_0491_zps55871da1.jpg

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Thanks PeterR, but wooden escalators are forbidden in public buildings here.

Don't they still have them in Macy's?