Memories of shopping in seventies Sheffield

Can anyone help - I'm pulling together info for a book the celebrates the Sheffield city centre (and possibly suburbs) shopping experience of the early seventies.

I'm after department stores/fashion/food/music/special interest - you name it.

Here's my list so far - can anyone add to it/have quirky stories/memories they'd like to share? I'd be very grateful:

Atkinsons, Cockaynes, Pauldons, Walshes, Asda, Fine Fare, Redgates, Thrifty, Blanchards, B&C, Peter Dominic, Alex Owen TVs, Brentford Nylon, Harringtons, Cole Brothers and Robert Brothers.

And does anyone possess a shopping guide to the era in Sheffield? Was there such a thing???

my mum remembers the sunshine shop on chapel walk, long before marks and spencers, polly of picadilly dunns, skidmores butchers on button lane,wigfalls in fitzalan square, my dad worked there . dempseys shoe shop in duke street , my mum could go on forever

Please ask your mum to go on forever - that's great!

I remember the trams and buses going thro fargate, Davies shop, there tomato sausage

was out of this world. so many department stores, worked at M&S fargate, before self-service with wooden floors, last job of the day was to sprinkle sawdust on the floor then we each had a large broom to sweep it up with. We had to stand-up all day, not aloud to sit, then people on christmas eve would be queing up to get in and then run down the shop to get the best (they thought) turkey. Oh what memories, so many more.

what about roger sherwoods hairdressers, tandy shop (used to sell cassettes radios and remote controlled cars ! bought my brother 1) true form shoe shop, bradshaws fruit shop on chapel walk,

chelsea girl on fargate ,joan barries on high street i think ,got my wedding dress from there ,schofields dept store, now argos i think ,maces pet shop near the markets .saxones and stylo shoeshops both on high street .

van allen , saxone , colvins, austin reed, ravell, chealsea freak, western jean company, bunnies, hepworths, barney goodmans, suggs,blue bell, crazy daisy,c&a.

Wilson Peck for pianos and other musical instruments

Burgons grocery shop

Dewhursts butchers

Isidore Newman tailor

Neales Gowns dress shop

S & E Co-op

Not forgetting Woolworths

Ideal Salons hairdressers. I worked as mothers help for the owner who lived on Dore Rd and part of my wage was a free hairdo every week.

Peter Robinsons above C & A

Sexy Rexy on Charles St

Tramps on King St

Nat Elstons in the Castle Market

Linda's Kinky Korner in the market

Gladrags in Market and then in the Stonehouse courtyard

Wilson Peck ( got my first recorder there )

Rebina

George France hairdressers on chapel walk

The Shack and Pollards on Convent Walk

Huckleberry Willow on Glossop Rd

Minott & Voyse jewellers on London Rd

Mac Market

Euco Market at Ecclesfield

Pippys

South Sea Bubble

Cann the Music Man

Lewis Leathers

Lonsdale Universal

Hudsons

Virgin Records

Bradleys Records

The Golden Egg

Violet May

S&E Co-Op

I still have my Lewis Leather. Bought my first singles from Cann's and my record player from Wilson Peck. Remember when they sold City Hall tickets in the basement? I nearly queued for Slade. God,I'm getting old.