Your memories of the sheffield "tigers" speedway

Never went but my uncle used to be a marshall there was he one of the men in white coats !!!!!!!

Yes you're right there were about 8 or10 men marching in pairs behind one man on his own.This man marched really smart, but the further down the line you went the more sloppy the marchers became. The music was great,I think it is called "The entry of the gladiators" but I am not 100% sure.

Yep..

Entry Of The Gladiators By Fuchs.

Mind you we just called it "The Circus Music" back in the day (very late sixties through the seventies)

Lol, yes the marching music, I can whistle it but can't remember what it's called!...I can remember the Belle Vue music too but having trouble remembering that name too!

Just read the above post....."the circus music"! ! ! yes

Before the racing started each Thursday evening, I seem to recall some men in white coats marching out from the pits to some loud marching music . . .

. . . or is that my imagination ???

If not, what was the title of the music - I'd like to hear it again.

It was 'The Entry of the Gladiators'

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 17:08 ----------

Yep..

Entry Of The Gladiators By Fuchs.

Mind you we just called it "The Circus Music" back in the day (very late sixties through the seventies)

It was the same in the late forties when I went as a 5 year old.

The Allots used to race round the country lanes near Penistone.

I have just finished reading The Golden Age Of Speedway by Phillip Dalling £7-99 reduced from £14-99 from Amazon UK. The book focuses on the seasons 1946 to 1957 and is a must for any Old speedway fan. Ex Sheffield riders get a decent showing and there is a fine photograph of the Sheffield Tars I haven't seen before, Bert Lacey, Bill Dalton, Peter Orpwood, Jack Winstanley, Charlie New, Jack Chignell, Len Williams and Guy Allott anybody remember them. I highly recommend this book, I thought it money well spent.

When I was a little lad of around 14 I was given a few 'Sheffield Tars' race jackets. Someone had 'doctored' them to read 'Buccaneers' and we used them for cycle speedway. This would have been around 1963. Some lads had been racing around the Owlerton carpark in the daytime and a bloke came out and gave them the jackets. One of the lads was my cousin and he passed them on to me. I distributed them amongst my mates and they gradually vanished.

A bit of history lost ??

I had to go in our loft this morning and,amongst all the other treasure,I found a pile of programmes from the mid 70's.I brought one down to report on!

15th May '75,Tigers v Wimbledon. Team-Wilson,Karlsson,Wyer,Haley,Carl Glover,Owen(replacing Pendlebury) and Allott. Bob Valentine was Wimbledons captain and Sheffield won 44-33.

Terry Thornhills weekley topics incuded an obituary to Tommy Allott who had died that week.

I'd risked 2 1/2p on a riders fund draw ticket to win one of "5 splendid prizes".How "splendid" is splendid,I don't recall!

And an advert in the back,"Visit LILY'S PORK STORES" for pie and pea suppers and buffet (sponsors of Carl Glover)!

And all this for 10p!

Can't remember how much the addmision prices were.

Edited by shanes teeth

would love to hear your news & views of the tigers no matter how old or recent your memories are

As young enthusiasts we used to meet in the Royal on the corner of Penistone road / Bradfield road for a drink , settle ourselves on the first bend ; watch the rakers march out to the march of the gladiators, watch the bikers come out and rev up - fly past and get that smell of the bikes !!! mmmm . they were off . Can smell it now .