Your memories of the sheffield "tigers" speedway

First went to Owlerton in '60 to see Robbo, Kitch. Len Williams, Jack Winstanley etc, & was hooked for life!

Started training in '63 @ Wombwell same time as Bob Paulson, Allan Palmer, Pete Wrathall, Taffy Owen et al.

Rode in the 1964 Novice of the Year (Jimmy Crawford) trophy event 24th. Sept. ( my19th. b'day) but crashed out on 3rd./4th. bend. Won by Derek Jay.

Also involved were Paulson & Wrathall. Still got my pay slip for the race------ 1 start--10/- (10 shillings for the young uns ) less 2/6 for fuel!!!

Have taken my kids & grandkids through the years but haven't been for the last 2 seasons.

Still got programmes & Speedway Stars for moat of the years since 1960

I used to go to Wombwell at that time,Allan Palmer has been a mate of mine for 50yrs,we had a garage business each and he now lives in Lincolnshire.Stuart Jay lives just around the corner from me.I was also there the night Guy had his accident.

Hi Tiger Tom,

I did watch from the first bend, by the wall round the dog track, with a bunch of mates (lads & lasses) but as far as I can recall, they were the only ones that ever went to Wombwell with me. Also I was never well off enough to give away handlebars! so you must be remembering somebody else. Sorry to disapoint.

If I recall correctly, acouple of other names from Wombwell at that time were Bob Wardley & Dougie Oldale.

I used to go to the speedway in the 60s when the team was something like Dews, Bales, Featherby, Paulson, Jay, Haley, Kitchen

I also worked at the stadium as an electrician for a year, must have been 73 ish

I got to know Dougie Wyatt (I wired up his workshop) Reg Wilson and Bobby Valentine

Bobby had a caravan around the back near the greyhound kennels, which I also wired up and found myself in close quarters with his girlfriend who was absolutely drop dead gorgeous.

dougie wyer was in the 1st race i ever saw as a kid in the early 70s

:confused: Did he live either at beighton or hackenthorpe :help:

Some photos of Owlerton taken in 1985. Quality average, neg scanner not brilliant & can't find any prints.

http://imageshack.us/g/12/201201056small.jpg/

Just to give an idea of what Owlerton looked like at that time. I wasn't really a speedway fan, I usually went to Owlerton to watch the Eagles.

I was a regular at Owlerton from around 1960 onwards and have many fond but fading memories. I am sure I have Sandor Levai' s autograph on a programme, I have most of them under the desk ready to be put on ebay - eventually !

I think I started going very shortly after Guy Allott's accident.

I know this thread may be a little cold now but I will keep putting a bit on if there is any interest.

Incidentally, My Parents used to go when the track was literally cinders, they remembered riders including Smokey Stratton and Frank Varey as a rider, there were others but memory fade has just pipped this one!

Oop's, I was looking at the wrong end !! thought the last post was 2009, armature !!

Any body remember Tommy Bateman,Tommy Allott,Jack Bibby,Bruce Semmens,Len Williams and Stan Williams.This was,I beleive the team when I first went to Sheffield Speedway sometime in the fourties.I also remember a thrilling rider who rode for Norwich i.e Bert Spencer.Happy days.

Bert Harkins and Bengt Laarson...who if Iremember, used to use his left knee on bends?

I am in touch with Doug Oldale, who is collecting old programmes from meeting he rode in.

I used to go to the speedway in the 60s, we used to have a board to put the program on so we could mark the finishing positions. At that time petrol was giving tigers tales away & a few of us had them tied to theses boards, we also used to make the names of the riders out of the bus tickets as they had letters on them then. I can remember Clive Featherby riding at that time only saw him come of once.

Any body remember Tommy Bateman,Tommy Allott,Jack Bibby,Bruce Semmens,Len Williams and Stan Williams.This was,I beleive the team when I first went to Sheffield Speedway sometime in the fourties.I also remember a thrilling rider who rode for Norwich i.e Bert Spencer.Happy days.

I remember Guy Allott and probably once, but not now, knew how he was related to Tommy Allott. The others were before my time I think.