Your memories of the sheffield "tigers" speedway

I used to go to watch them all the time as a kid in the late 70s ,

bob paulson used to work with my father and lived near us ,

He came to our house all the time we called him uncle bob,

but he tragically took his own life in the 80s,

A true gent and legend in my eyes.

Bob Paulson: Great servant to Sheffield Speedway, I think he spent all his riding career at Sheffield, and was captain of the best team Sheffield has had, the 1973 team. Bob looked like becoming a world beater in the mid sixties, I remember him as an outside blaster, very exciting rider. But Bob seemed to pick up a bad injury every season (maybe due to his riding style) I think these injuries curtailed Bobs advancement to the very top of the sport, but he was always a good rider fondly remembered.

Bob Paulson: Great servant to Sheffield Speedway, I think he spent all his riding career at Sheffield, and was captain of the best team Sheffield has had, the 1973 team. Bob looked like becoming a world beater in the mid sixties, I remember him as an outside blaster, very exciting rider. But Bob seemed to pick up a bad injury every season (maybe due to his riding style) I think these injuries curtailed Bobs advancement to the very top of the sport, but he was always a good rider fondly remembered.

Hi Swearshopboy, What memories you bring back. You have great knowledge and a great memory. I agree with you about Bob Paulson. I started going to Owlerton in the mid 60s. I remember Billy Bales as one of my favorites. He must have had great strength to ride a speedway bike, let alone be so good, he must have been one of the shortest riders in the country, but still had the skill to win many races.

Just been chatting to me dad,

yes thats right he spent 10 yrs at the tigers,many as captain

1965-1974 he retired,he was born in chilworth ,derbyshire.1946,died in 1982.(commited suicide),1975 was his testamonial

scored just under 2000 points ,

and was part of the internationale team at wimbledon,me mum and dad went .also he was part of the winning cup team .

me dad seems to remember is best season was 1966,but as you say he picked up an injury every season and yes me dad agrees if he didnt then he would of been in a class of his own.

I have fond memories of him as a kid and best of all free entry ,lol

and sitting on his bike at the stadium, great days.

Hiya DOMMI it's been a long time, I too was a Billy Bales fan, I don't know what it was but those super little un's Billy Bales, Peter Craven, Soren Sjosten, Johnny Chamberlain and Torbjorn Harrysson made really spectacular speedway riders. Another young little un I thought would mature into one of the all time greats was David Crane (remember him) rode for Sheffield 1965 another ex Norwich rider like Bales and Featherby. According to Owlerton Legends he was eighteen when he joined Sheffield but looked thirteen, he ended the season with a 5.04 average, I remember him as a real trier and he was the darling of the crowd. Kings Lynn opened in 1966 and as he lived in the area he left Sheffield to ride for them, after one good season for the Stars he went into decline, last I heard of him he was riding reserve at Oxford before leaving the game. I don't know what happened but from looking like a potential world beater to being washed up in the space of about five years was very sad.

I lived on Morgan Road and my mother used to take me to the Speedway at Owlerton by crossing 'The Blackburn Meadows' under the Power Station at Neepsend over the railway bridge and then the rusty brown River Don and to the track so that we arrived at half-time when entry was free. The most celebrated rider then was Tommy Allott.

I used to go in the 60s. Remember having a tigers tail ( I think you got them free with esso petrol ) attached to the board you had for the program so you could fill it in. Also the used bus tickets that had letters on we used to make the riders names out of them & stick them on the boards also.

I have just finished reading The Golden Age Of Speedway by Phillip Dalling £7-99 reduced from £14-99 from Amazon UK. The book focuses on the seasons 1946 to 1957 and is a must for any Old speedway fan. Ex Sheffield riders get a decent showing and there is a fine photograph of the Sheffield Tars I haven't seen before, Bert Lacey, Bill Dalton, Peter Orpwood, Jack Winstanley, Charlie New, Jack Chignell, Len Williams and Guy Allott anybody remember them. I highly recommend this book, I thought it money well spent.

Almost,it was 63-15 under the old 13 heat format.It was 11 5-1's and 2 4-2's, the team on the end of it was Kings Lynn,who in 2007 smashed the Tigers 75-15 under the present 15 heat format when the then Tigers number 1 Andre Compton crashed out of the meeting in his first race and the rest of the team struggled on a very grippy track.

Went to it opoor meeting and was soooooooo one sided. Felt sorry for the Newcastle fans

I went to see speedway about 1957 at Owlerton--I think Sheffield used to ride against Odsal (Bradford) every other week only riders I remember were Oliver Hart and Arthur Forrest---still smell the burn up---

First went to Owlerton in '60 to see Robbo, Kitch. Len Williams, Jack Winstanley etc, & was hooked for life!

Started training in '63 @ Wombwell same time as Bob Paulson, Allan Palmer, Pete Wrathall, Taffy Owen et al.

Rode in the 1964 Novice of the Year (Jimmy Crawford) trophy event 24th. Sept. ( my19th. b'day) but crashed out on 3rd./4th. bend. Won by Derek Jay.

Also involved were Paulson & Wrathall. Still got my pay slip for the race------ 1 start--10/- (10 shillings for the young uns ) less 2/6 for fuel!!!

Have taken my kids & grandkids through the years but haven't been for the last 2 seasons.

Still got programmes & Speedway Stars for moat of the years since 1960

Fencebender. Did you watch speedway from the first bend up by the dog track.? I used to be there when my dad took me early in the 60's. A guy who stood there started riding and he took me to Wombwell one day and also gave me his old handlebars. Could that be you?

I also was in a Jimmy Crawford meeting in 1970 but never made the grade. Would be something if you were the guy who took me to the Wombwell practice.

Tiger Tom

Yes Dave I was there that night and I think it was the Northern Trophy that they were parading round the track, the tractor was being driven by a sponser not the track staff. Roughly three quarters way round coming round the top bend the tractor seemed to brake, shooting Guy who was holding the cup aloft, off the front of the tractor, then for some reason the driver carried on and dragged the grader over the unfortunate Allott, well thats how I remember it, as you say it did finish Guy's speedway career.

This happened right in front of where I was standing. As I remember it Guy was holding up the trophy to show the crowds when it slipped out of his hands. He tried to catch it but in doing so lost his balance & slipped. He fell & the tractor pulled the grader over him.