Take it a little steadier up Ecc Rd South, please!

I work at Banner Cross Hall and getting out of the gate at night is an absolute nightmare because of the temporary traffic lights further up the road but I agree with what other people have said about drivers changing lanes, I've had drivers cut in front of me before now :rant:

It's quite interesting to sit in the window of the Prince Of Wales and watch traffic coming up Ecclesall Road in the nearside lane attempt to cut-in in order to go straight ahead.

Clearer lane signage might help but a poor driver will still be a poor driver.

Even poor drivers can be safe drivers, this is just arrogant drivers.

Last week there was a queue of traffic all the way into town because of the roadworks. Some idiot decided the queue was not for him, so just drove up the left hand lane and then plonked himself in the gap left for traffic turning into/out of Carterknowle Rd, thus preventing them from doing so for two light sequences.

:loopy:

I was trying to turn right out of Carterknowle Road.

:rant:

Edited by quisquose

I work at Banner Cross Hall and getting out of the gate at night is an absolute nightmare because of the temporary traffic lights further up the road but I agree with what other people have said about drivers changing lanes, I've had drivers cut in front of me before now :rant:

I feel sorry for you guys trying to get out of that exit. Many a time I've approached in the RH lane and slowed to let somebody out of there only to have some driver in the LH lane slam the accelerator down to nick the gap I create before the Banner Cross Hall driver. I can recall taking a few sharp intakes of breath there.

I feel sorry for you guys trying to get out of that exit. Many a time I've approached in the RH lane and slowed to let somebody out of there only to have some driver in the LH lane slam the accelerator down to nick the gap I create before the Banner Cross Hall driver. I can recall taking a few sharp intakes of breath there.

Thanks and thanks if you have ever stopped to let me come out ;)

My heart is sometimes in my mouth as well, you'd think those drivers who whizz past in the LH lane would be a little bit more mindful of people pulling out :o

Even poor drivers can be safe drivers, this is just arrogant drivers.
I'd have thought that a poor driver is by definition not a good driver.
See, that junction is something to reflect on. The road has two lanes for traffic from Banner Cross. For a fair distance if there is no one in the left lanes everyone should be driving in the left lane, highway code does tell us that in the UK we drive on the left. It's only when the arrows are painted on the road that drivers have to filter in the appropriate lane. Admittedly, right hand turning drivers before the pub are quite annoying, you want to go to the right lane early to be sensible and you feel penalised by having to wait for oncoming traffic to disappear or let the turner through when you could have undertaken the indicating car (legally as the car is stationary) and simply drive up without stopping; might get through a cycle early, why not. Edited by Captain_Scarlet

Its reasons like this I love having my big old bus. Its a nightmare getting out of my works carpark sometimes as Bell Ends like to floor it off the roundabout in a race to get stuck in traffic.

I see a gap and I'll take it. It'll hurt you a lot more than me if you race off the roundabout. I don't pull out on people, but your average BMW/Audi driver who likes to sling shot the roundabout soon find 2 Tonnes of J-Tin in the way.

Its reasons like this I love having my big old bus. Its a nightmare getting out of my works carpark sometimes as Bell Ends like to floor it off the roundabout in a race to get stuck in traffic.

I see a gap and I'll take it. It'll hurt you a lot more than me if you race off the roundabout. I don't pull out on people, but your average BMW/Audi driver who likes to sling shot the roundabout soon find 2 Tonnes of J-Tin in the way.

Surely if you were to be in someone's way that is by definition not a break in traffic!! Anyone is entitled to accelerate away from an r/a as they like (within the speed limit). But this is totally off topic.

This particular series of junctions is badly planned in any case. The left lane is often not used due to people planning for the straight ahead at the lights going out of the city. It is not usual practice for the left lane not to allow going straight on at a junction an could easily catch people who are new to the road. It's just as bad going the other way with the bus lane end etc.

IMHO its not too bad boy racer wise round there. The suited idiots talking on their phones in their BMWs and Audis are much more the problem. Let's not blame all accidents and lane swapping on boy racers.

It's the BMW roundabout near West Bar. People see space as they approach the roundabout and nail it. There is a gap in the traffic, but people see the need to touch 50mph to try and fill it.

I saw the car slam into a wall, just a week ago just before the bus shelter near the speed camera there. Cars are always racing from the lights at Banner Cross to the Prince of Wales pub.

So, if you saw it, please tell me how the car ended up in the wall - cos I can't work it out.

The road has two lanes for traffic from Banner Cross. For a fair distance if there is no one in the left lanes everyone should be driving in the left lane, highway code does tell us that in the UK we drive on the left. It's only when the arrows are painted on the road that drivers have to filter in the appropriate lane.

Wasn't too sure about this, I always thought that getting in the correct lane early with as little lane changing as possible overrides the you must be in the LH lane etiquette, so went and looked it up:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070308

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

It does mention stay left on a dual carriageway in 137, but only after defining a dual carriageway as "a road which has a central reservation to separate the carriageways."

I think the fact that the majority of drivers approach the junction in the RH lane from Banner Cross and Psalter Lane shows that the spirit of 134 of the official Highway Code is being interpreted, rather than the annoying minority that drive in the spirit of 178 of Not The Highway Code which states "get ahead of all others by whatever method."

http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/PB-35452/Not-The-Highway-Code.htm

I'll get my anorak now.

:hihi:

I noticed the roadworks for the first time today on eccy road and at first i thought i was over taking parked cars till i saw people in the drivers seats, then cones up ahead so i pretneded i was turning right and ended up in somones drive, then reversed out and drove back to the back of the que :D

I saw the immediate aftermath of the crash at the top of Dunkeld Road by the granny flats about 1:30am on Saturday morning - the driver was blatently speeding and had attempted to turn right at high speed down Dunkeld Road and flipped over. Made a right mess of the kerb and gardens of the flats.

I was gonna laugh at the scrotes that were in the car but quickly remembered to obey the law of schadenfreude.