Take it a little steadier up Ecc Rd South, please!

I have no idea what's going on but there have been two car write-offs with various bits of wall and street furniture remodeled within 150 metres of the top of Carterknowle Rd in the last ten days and four in total (to my knowledge) in the last year or so, all in the evening or at night.

Walking the dog around there on occasions I am acutely aware of the speed some of you drive up the road at and a few of you seem hell bent on not making it home at all.

Take it a little steadier, please!

I have noticed a lot of idiots driving up and down Ringinglow Road like they are on a rally it really is very irresponsible as there are two schools on there I am really suprised no children have been hit yet. I fear it will only be a matter of time.

Aye just read that in the star, wonder if they were dui or just stupid you'd have to be going atleast 50 odd round that corner to flip it and it'd have to be a bad handling car at that.

I see the nearby 'safety' camera isn't helping...other than making me laugh when I saw a suburu teararse past it and it flash :hihi:

I have not driven on that stretch for a year because I'm supersticious.

I am one of the accident stars from last year. I was stationary in traffic and got rammed from behind in a three car smash. Luckily mine was a big people carrier and my kids were not in the car. Just caved the boot in and damage to bits around exhaust. But the other two cars were in a right state. The guy driving the last car was speeding and his tyres were dodgy. He owned up.

My only accident in 17 years and now take any other road I can if I'm up there.

I have to admit that when the road was changed, so the left hand lane became left turn down Carterknowle Rd only, I was pleased with the prospect that it would stop the boy racers from their I can get in front of you game.

Unfortunately it seems that this stretch of road has been made much more dangerous since the changes. It has now become a 200 yard race up Ecclesall Road, with cars swapping lanes 3 or more times to fight for position.

The boy racer now has a number of options to think about; does he undertake before Gisborne Rd in the hope that a right turning car gives him the opportunity to get in the right lane, does he undertake before Ringinglow Rd in the hope that a right turning car gives him the opportunity to get in the right lane, or both? Whatever, the boy racer's main tactic remains ... speed.

I've seen a number of near misses and road rage incidents here.

Edited by quisquose

I saw the car slam into a wall, just a week ago just before the bus shelter near the speed camera there. Cars are always racing from the lights at Banner Cross to the Prince of Wales pub.

I must object to everyone who strategically plans their route, being called a "boy racer". I agree, there are irresponsble drivers who will cut people up, purely for the gain of getting ahead by 1 car lentgh, and that's ridiculous. However, if you can see well ahead that there's a queue to turn right onto gisbourne, then I see nothing wrong with getting in the left lane, and switching to the right once you've passed it.

I must object to everyone who strategically plans their route, being called a "boy racer". I agree, there are irresponsble drivers who will cut people up, purely for the gain of getting ahead by 1 car lentgh, and that's ridiculous. However, if you can see well ahead that there's a queue to turn right onto gisbourne, then I see nothing wrong with getting in the left lane, and switching to the right once you've passed it.

whilst i would agree with you ditzy, i also acknowledge the fact that i do drive fast up this stretch, simply cos i can and its fun.

hadn't realised there'd been so many accidents here.

will slow down in future :)

Planning ahead, driving carefully, is NOT what I am calling "boy racer" and I think that was clear from my post.

Undertaking at speed, in the hope that right turning traffic will allow you to get back into the right lane seems to be the modus operandi of the "boy racer" on this stretch of road. If that doesn't work, there is always push in, cut up, or make the left turning traffic wait while someone lets you in.

And that's what I was saying wasn't acceptable - cut ins etc. Surely though to under/overtake, you have to do it at some speed in order to get past? Those that weave in an out of traffic on that stretch shouldn't do it by cutting people up, but that said, there are plenty of people on the road that drive at a snail's pace, who equally should be a consideration for refresher lessons.

Sorry.....................

It's quite interesting to sit in the window of the Prince Of Wales and watch traffic coming up Ecclesall Road in the nearside lane attempt to cut-in in order to go straight ahead.

Clearer lane signage might help but a poor driver will still be a poor driver.