How Much Is Membership @ Hallamshire Tennis Club?

Can anyone help with the above? The wife and I are interested in taking up playing tennis again. I've looked on the their website but there's no info. Also, do you still have to pay every time for playing tennis even if you become a member? I've searched on here but can't find any info.

Many thanks'

The 2009/10 rates are: tennis only £258 over 23's, £181 under 23's, £116 Student, £103 under 18, £52 under 12 and £34 under 8.

I play squash and the court fees are around £4.50 - £5.50 dependant on time of day but from memory the Tennis court fees are slightly cheaper.

There is also a joining fee of £30.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that. I'm not sure I like the idea of having to pay extra though after I've just forked out nearly £300 membership for the year. Still, I'll have a look.

That's extortionate, i'm sure it didn't used to be that much of a rip off. Nice facilities at Hallamshire but definitly not worth over £300 minus the £5 a time to use any of their courts.

I think they let you use the facilities up to five times without becoming a member, so you could make up a different alias each time you go. Failing that, you could always try graves tennis and leisure centre. Might be a bit out of the way, but they have nice indoor courts, social tennis sessions and £600 will get you a fair few hours of tennis...

Edited by steve_magoo

I used to be a member of Hallamshire Tennis Club and found I got nothing for my membership fee and yes had to pay extra, almost every time i played. The main problem for me was that i only play at improved beginners level and the club doesn't really attract people at that level. Sometimes i would turn up for the beginners socials and have no one to play with!

I was also a bit miffed to find out that on several occasions certain events had taken place at the club for the members - and i hadn't even been notified - this made it even harder to get involved in other events and to meet other players.

On a positive note, the staff at the club are friendly and the standard of coaching was very good. I just feel the management need to be better at communicating with their members or organising or promoting events.

When i failed to renew my membership, no one even bothered to ask me 'why?'

Edited by felinefriend

To be honest, I've been a member for just about a year, and my membership is up for renewal, not thinking that I'll renew, like felinefriend I've never been informed about any events or activities, which is what I would expect from a membership based centre. The fees could be reduced if they didn't insist on having the heating on all the time, the last thing you need halfway through an intense game of squash is cooking like a chicken, as the over head heaters crank up to full steam.

The only contact any staff member has had with us except when taking our money, was when we were told to use the changing rooms to remove out jumpers, that would be fine if the old dudes didn't insist on dangling their tackle everywhere:-(.

On the other hand no one would actually notice if you weren't a member and used the place.

Intersting. After reading these posts I think I'll keep my money and just stick to going on walks for free. I did look at Graves but they want £16.90 for non card members and £14.10 for card holders per hour, doesn't say how much the card is.

I think it's a rip off what these places charge. I would have joined Hallamshire if you didn't have to pay extra money, like you say, what do you really get for £300???

Verona

You can play in some of the parks for free or for a small fee, if cornered by the park warden.

I play at Improved beginners/intermediate level and have recently found some new people to play with. I play at Millhouses park, graves tennis centre and have previously played at the outdoor courts at Graves park.

If you would like to meet us for a game sometime let me know and we can arrange something.

And thats why this country will never be succesful at tennis!

The sport will never dip into its share of the talent pool as it constantly makes itself totally out of reach to 99% of school age children. If a parent can scrape together the joining fee and the court fee, they still then have to pay for the lessons.

I would love to know the demographic breakdown of these tennis clubs members I wonder how many have got members from S2 S3 S4 compared to S10 S11 S17.