Joseph Rodgers Sheffield Year Knife

Does anyone know the whereabouts of this famous exhibition piece?. It used to have a blade added to it every year. I first saw it in 1942: it seemed to me to stretch from the floor to the ceiling!. Thanks.

I seem to recollect that Stanley Tools bought it.

Thank you very, very much for your posts. I've wondered for years about this knife. I must say that your replies have surprised me,as I thought that it would still be on display, say at the Cutlers Hall. Maybe Stanley's still exhibit on special occassions. I could be wrong, but I've a feeling that I saw it at the Millenium Gallery a short while after it opened. Thanks again, for your very impressive replies. John.

I remember seeing a knife that used to be on display in the market was it this one? I am going back over 30 years. lol

My father worked at Joseph Rodgers in the 60s and he used to take me up into the board room where you could view the knife in its glass case. There was also another exhibition knife there but I cannot remember its name.

Iansheff. Sorry,not sure about that. carosio: I was a lad 14 yrs. old i 1942,when I saw the knife in it's glass case and talked about it ever since. cgksheff has posted a wonderful picture of it, and its history. DO LOOK AT THIS. Interesting comment about the board-room.(was your father on the managerial staff? ) I've always thought it was in the waiting room,whilst waiting to be interviewed. The other knife is also shown (I never knew about this one). Thanks to everyone,much appreciated by an old codger.

All I can remember is that there used to be a knife displayed in the castle market, like I say it is 30+ years ago lol

IAN, can u remember how this knife was displayed. i.e.,as part of a stall, or in a display case etc. I never went in the Castle market much, but off topic, I remember the markets prior to this, 1935 onwards. Cheers.

Can't remember I think it was on the top of the glass didplay cabinet, but it is a few years ago lol

To avoid confusion, I'd like to summarise the info. I've received in the last few hours. There are 2 knives in existence. The first one being the 'The Century knife' aka 'The Sheffield Year knife' , in the shape of a Maltese Cross' (Joseph Rodgers logo). A new blade was added each year, until year 2000. This is now in the hands of Stanley Tools, for preservation. The 2nd. knife, the 'Norfolk Exhibition knife, made in 1850 to surpass the above with 74 blades. Auctioned at Sotheby's in 1969 and now on permanent loan at the Cutlers Hall in Sheffield. I've only been able to get all this info by using the website that CGK SHEFF put on here yesterday,so thanks to him. Bye for now.

Edited by JOGI

I think i have seen this. either at Kelham Island or Western Park museum. Not been to Kelham since the floods and Western Park is far to child friendly to have anything like a knife since the refurb.

The millenium galleries has some knives, you could ask one of the curators they are pretty knowledgable, they just look like security.