Local Rock/metal bands of the 1980's

As I remember it, Sheffield had a thriving local rock scene in the eighties and there were some cracking local bands around. The best ones that I saw live were Stateline, Cleopatra, Maison Rouge (more blusey but still a great live band) and the Lonely Hearts.

Other local rock bands that I remember were Candy Page, Kalamazoo, The Grind and Seventh Son. Did anyone else see any of the ones mentioned or any that I've failed to remember?

I remember a local band called Panza Division, and very good they were too!

:)

theres a couple on my punk metal bands site in my signature.........more of the thrash metal variety tho

As I remember it, Sheffield had a thriving local rock scene in the eighties and there were some cracking local bands around. The best ones that I saw live were Stateline, Cleopatra, Maison Rouge (more blusey but still a great live band) and the Lonely Hearts.

I saw both Cleopatra and Stateline a few times. Both were what you might call American AOR types, but they were very good. I remember seeing Cleopatra supporting Wishbone Ash at the old Roxys and they reminded me a bit of UFO, probably cos the singer was the spitting image of Phil Mogg LOL. Stateline, I think I am right in saying, were from Chesterfield way. Weren't Little Angels from around these parts too, or was it Leeds?

Little Angels were from Scarborough. Kalamazoo - how could I have forgotten Gary's Dave Lee Roth style high kicks (though always the same leg. LOL) Paul, the singer from Maison Rouge, was last seen fronting Mag7 (a rock covers band), though it's been a while since I saw them, the guitarist and bassist (I think) formed the Unforgiven (a blues/rock band). Charlie Don't Surf are another current rock covers band, featuring Andy, the bass player in the Lonely Hearts, and Mark, the singer from Schaeffer (an 80's band who havn't been mentioned yet).

In addition, Cincinatti blended Bon Jovi-type harmonies with a Thin Lizzy twin guitar style, Chinawite operated in the keyboard orientated rock mode as "Jump" era Van Halen, Haze played (in fact still do) an excellent blend of English prog with Rush and Zeppelin moments. GGF operated at the thrash/hardcore boundary, while Cry (from Barnsley) had all the party-rock chops to put a smile on any rock fans face (search youTube for footage of "Party after Dark" and a brilliant cover of "Rebel Yell").

As for Panza Division, Glenn Marples went in a more radio-friendly direction and formed the Lonely Hearts with Andy Fisher. Over the years a number of other musicians were involved, including Nicky Gill (brother of Saxon/Motorhead/Glitter Band's Pete) and Andy Barrott, who also played with the highly-rated Geddes Axe, Chrome Molly and one-time chart-bothers Baby Tuckoo (from Bradford).

Glenn, Andy and Andy are playing a re-union show (together with Alan Bark - drummer from Seventh Son) at the Boardwalk on Sunday 24th Oct, in honour of Chris Heaps, who many in the local rock and bike community will remember, and Radio Hallams' Dave Kilner. Proceeds will go to "Help a Child Have a Chance".

There was certainly something special in the Sheffield "water" at that time. Just a shame so much of it was wasted brewing Ward's. [Ducks for cover - and (off-topic) what was the pretty good, darker, stronger ale that they produced towards the end? Available on hand-pump only.]

I did a gig with a couple of the Cleopatra lads two years ago, and with one of them last year, just rock covers.

I seem to remember a band called "HAZE" who started as a school band (from KES)

I know they also did gigs around Nottingham and Leicester...

Or could my memory be failing me...????!!!! :hihi: :hihi:

[quote Maison Rouge (more blusey but still a great live band)

Maison rouge are back in the rehearsal rooms very soon.

Mr President were verrrry good, almost got signed as I remember then split up.

I used to silkscreen print their posters for them back in't day. They even came along and got stuck in giving a hand.

Wish I still had the demo tape.

To Deano

Who are the line up for Maison Rouge comeback???

Hi,sorry for the late reply,Maison rouge are back,with the original line up,already played a couple of gigs.