Did anyone work at Surmanco?

Hi

I worked at Surmanco in 1958-59. Arnold the polisher was my Dad. I worked in the tool room and warehouse. I was 15 at the time, and remember Mrs Jubb in the warehouse. Pat Moore, Barbara Bell, Jean Mitchell, Pauline Turton,(she was a good singer) Her sister Val,Cameron Bromley, Keith Smith, Mr Wood the manager. Bill Cocker and many more. Good times!

My sister Angela worked there for a while. Don't know where though. It would have been late 60s early 70s when we used to live on the Broomhall flats.

My brother Donald worked there from 1970 to 1990 when ownership changed to Acme United Limited and then to Pro-Forge Ltd. Not sure of the area he worked in. Does anyone know any of the details regarding the change of ownership?

My brother Donald worked there from 1970 to 1990 when ownership changed to Acme United Limited and then to Pro-Forge Ltd. Not sure of the area he worked in. Does anyone know any of the details regarding the change of ownership?

hiya

i remember one or two from my bygone days .here goes

jim naylor,bert lymer,gil hunter,ted sharratt brian humphries,gordon reynolds,walt hill, john eales, harry staite, terry brown,ray tiplady,tool room 1953/56. les bocking,jim higginbottom, his brother harold,peter purnell,tom smith, kieth smiths uncle, john clark,elsie green ,mrs ball, norah and dinah moore, bill cocker. bill beaumont ron webster, dennis bellamy(lofty) vera avery ,jack and jenny harrison caretakers.. i also remember the nicholson bros who rented a room at the end of the t/r facing fitzwilliam st . another name that comes to me was emily chinn in the paint shop. also the beresford sisters.

p.s. in the 50s remember MRS STOCKS the tea lady, the tea was yuck but free(also the christmas gifts from the sugdens,) 15 bob for the under 21s ,30 bob for over 21s. the name surmanco was surgical and manicure company

ps my mum worked there in the 40s before the new building on fitzwillliam st was built, she was a buffer.and remembered mr erver whos factory it was, started his works in a cellar in victoria street i think. the daughter was called inger who married one called reg sugden there were some cash at that time to look at the cars they had, a bentley, e type jaguar,land rover, and a studabaker, which when they once went to america on a trip she insisted they took it with them.

Edited by willybite

hiya willybite, my mum margaret said hello! (your pats friend) i worked at surmanco in the sesventies and my mum worked there in the fifties, a lot of those people was still there when i worked there. dennis bellamys two sons went to work there too! DOES ANYONE REMEMBER LILY REDFEARN AND DENNIS FROM THE PRESS SHOP.?terry worked as a labourer he had red hair jim higginbottom and edmond was up there too. does anyone remember cynthia tucker? there was also gwen, alec, and many more. good times and a laugh, and yes dinner in the raven!!

Although I didn't work at Surmanco, I did do some work there over the years as I worked for the company that installed and looked after the intercom system there.

hiya

jim naylor,bert lymer,gil hunter,ted sharratt brian humphries,gordon reynolds,walt hill, john eales, harry stait, terry brown,ray tiplady,tool room 1953/58. les bocking,jim higginbottom, his brother harrold,peter purnell,tom smith, kieth smiths uncle, john clark,elsie green ,mrs ball, norah and dinah moore, bill cocker. bill beaumont ron webster, dennis bellamy(lofty) vera evary , i also remember the nicholson bros who rented a room at the end of the t/r facing fitzwilliam st .

Hi,

Can you remember my dad? He worked in the polishing shop on the ground floor. His name was Arnold Crookes. A lady called Cath worked in there too!

Hi,

Can you remember my dad? He worked in the polishing shop on the ground floor. His name was Arnold Crookes. A lady called Cath worked in there too!

hiya yes i do remember your dad as i used to repair the racks for the machine,pauline turtons sister worked in there as well,was it cath ive forgot. it was val sorry

Edited by willybite

hiya yes i do remember your dad as i used to repair the racks for the machine,pauline turtons sister worked in there as well,was it cath ive forgot.

Hi,

Valerie Turton worked with my dad, but Cath worked there for many years.

I worked in the warehouse, and also the 2nd floor in the tool room. I only worked there about a year in 1958/59.Mr Wood was manager.

cal

My mum used to work there not sure what year she was called Marie Lycett maiden name Marsden.

Hi,

Valerie Turton worked with my dad, but Cath worked there for many years.

I worked in the warehouse, and also the 2nd floor in the tool room. I only worked there about a year in 1958/59.Mr Wood was manager.

cal

hiya i was talking to mr wood and roy thompson about the ammount of scissors that were made, and his answer was, the scissors exported to australia per year was enough for every man, woman, and child,to have a pair each.

hiya

jim naylor,bert lymer,gil hunter,ted sharratt brian humphries,gordon reynolds,walt hill, john eales, harry staite, terry brown,ray tiplady,tool room 1953/58. les bocking,jim higginbottom, his brother harold,peter purnell,tom smith, kieth smiths uncle, john clark,elsie green ,mrs ball, norah and dinah moore, bill cocker. bill beaumont ron webster, dennis bellamy(lofty) vera avery ,jack and jenny harrison caretakers.. i also remember the nicholson bros who rented a room at the end of the t/r facing fitzwilliam st . another name that comes to me was emily chinn in the paint shop. also the beresford sisters.

p.s. in the 50s remember MRS STOCKS the tea lady, the tea was yuck but free(also the christmas gifts from the sugdens,) 15 bob for the under 21s ,30 bob for over 21s.

Hi Willybite

My mother worked at Surmanco's in the early fifties her name was Gladys

Hellewell or Barker.

Cheers

Yorkyhells