Did anyone work at Surmanco?

Does anyone remember Peggy Senior? (Margaret) I know my nan worked there in the 1970s/80s but I'd like to know how long she worked there in total before the 1970s.

---------- Post added 14-04-2015 at 11:57 ----------

Also, does anyone know the name of the retro cafe/bar that was next to Rare and Racy on Devonshire Street about 13 years ago? It was a sort of Mexican theme(?) with pictures of Casablanca and old movies on the walls.

Does anyone remember Peggy Senior? (Margaret) I know my nan worked there in the 1970s/80s but I'd like to know how long she worked there in total before the 1970s.

---------- Post added 14-04-2015 at 11:57 ----------

Also, does anyone know the name of the retro cafe/bar that was next to Rare and Racy on Devonshire Street about 13 years ago? It was a sort of Mexican theme(?) with pictures of Casablanca and old movies on the walls.

I remember Peggy....I started at Surmanco's in 1959 at the age of 15. She was working there then in the assembly rooms. NICE LADY !

Anyone remember Susan Allsop worked there 1962 1966?

I grew up in Cavendish Street and can remember some of the cars that used to be parked outside Surmanco, particularly the E type Jaguar. We understood the owners were called Hoffman, which must have been the maiden name of Inge Sugden. The caretaker was called Jack Harrison and he lived further up the street with his foreign (German?) wife. We moved away in 1975 - does anyone know whether Surmanco moved to another site or just closed down and, if so, when?

I worked at Surmanco around 69/70 only lasted a couple of months I remember Jean Mitchell a good looking woman with dark reddish hair If I'm not mistaken. I also remember Jack Harrison I lived in a flat at the bottom of Gell Street.:(

Hello Alan P.

I thought that was me who wrote similar words on the lovely looking Jean Mitchell. She ran a dept at Surmanco.

Wonder where she is now?

Looking back on other posts she may have passed away.

Hello Alan P.

I thought that was me who wrote similar words on the lovely looking Jean Mitchell. She ran a dept at Surmanco.

Wonder where she is now?

hiya just read your letter and noticed your name. gmarshman, set me thinking in 1953 when i started work at surmanco as a 15 year old there was a oliver marshman working in the toolroom, he told me he was on the stage his stage name waS OLLIE MARSH and he had performed at the old hippodrome at sometime.

---------- Post added 07-11-2015 at 08:36 ----------

Looking back on other posts she may have passed away.

hiya i heard the same some time ago.i knew her family siblings from years ago trevor knocked about with us for a while when we were 17/18.

---------- Post added 10-11-2015 at 10:26 ----------

I grew up in Cavendish Street and can remember some of the cars that used to be parked outside Surmanco, particularly the E type Jaguar. We understood the owners were called Hoffman, which must have been the maiden name of Inge Sugden. The caretaker was called Jack Harrison and he lived further up the street with his foreigne greek?) wife. We moved away in 1975 - does anyone know whether Surmanco moved to another site or just closed down and, if so, when?

hiya the name was erver the building on fitzwilliam st was named erver house. it was inga sugden reg sugden was his name i remember he was very smart his suits were only cleaned twice then discarded, the foreman in the toolroom jim naylor was the same size so he would get them, i remember peggy senior when i sterted work at surmanco in 1953 november there were two peggies worked on the sissor setting table one of then had two cousins working in the same assembly shop one was nellie green the other i think was called doris, on the setting table was pauline turton margaret hill, and a mrs prozac who came to england after the war from poland.

Edited by willybite

Hello willibite,

It is interesting to see your reference to Oliver Marshman who worked in the Tool Room in the 1950's .

I do not have any knowledge of Ollie Marsh, however coincidentally my late father George Marshman was always involved in the music industry , having dance bands from the 1920's to late 50's. We originated from the North East until maybe 1944/5 after moving to Sheffield. I know my late father supported George Formby on occasions during that period. , but Ollie Marsh is an unknown at the moment .

Hi williebite. I talk to pauline turton. She is a friend of my mums. Its jo margarets daughter.

I worked at Surmanco in the Sales and Marketing Office with Ken McCabe,helping run the sales force of 10 sales agents.Brilliant company.Still remember Magda lovely lady on Reception amongst others.

Best scissors in the world.

Sean

Hi im Alec Taylor's  daughter,  I last saw Jean Mitchell about 18 years ago , she moved near to me but sadly passed away