Did anyone work at Surmanco?

i didnt start work at surmanco til 1975 cant recall your mum and dad does nyone remember cynthia in the 80s there

I think Hilda Lunn was married to Ernie Lunn who had a car bodyshop on Holme Lane.

I worked there for a short period sometime '66-68 down in the basement where they rumbled the scissors in pebbles - cyanide was also used in this process. The chap in charge of the rumblers had a strange vocabulary and a very short temper! Poor quality, mass produced scissors I thought, rather like Richardsons, cashing in on the Sheffield name.

Edited by carosio

MY AND DAD DID B4 THEY WERE MARRIED BUT MY AUNTIE WORKED THERE 4 YEARS .HER NAME WAS CHRISTINE WHITE :thumbsup:

was the bad tempered man called (cant remember his first name) cocker, and his brothers name was harry?

my mum remembers hilda lunn, hilda invited my mum and her friend pat millward to tea, they lived on victoria street, hilda was a quiet , posh lady. does anyone remember hilda ramsden, hugh tolley,(foreman of the pinking shears) jack and jenny harrison,brenda hadfield, all worked there in the fifties

[QUOTE=lagerlil;4893149]was the bad tempered man called (cant remember his first name) cocker, and his brothers name was harry?[/quote]

I can't remember his name, he was a portly, elderly man with, I think, long sideburns. I also remember the lady manager up in the office, who seemed quite nice.

if you worked there in the fifties do you remember brenda farquhar and her sisters margaret and christine and grumpy had sandy hair, and a tan work jacket

if you worked there in the fifties do you remember brenda farquhar and her sisters margaret and christine and grumpy had sandy hair, and a tan work jacket

Sorry, no, I worked there only for a brief period of about 6 months somewhere between 66-68, didnt like the job!

I was there for a couple of years around 1970.

First in the tool room but then I was Charge-hand in the welding shop (at the back where the big presses and the benders were.

I remember:

Jean Mitchell.- Was she in charge of the piercing Dept?

Bridgett -- ? Worked in the office

Mr Marriott - Works manager.

The caretaker ? - He lived in the house attached to the back.

Michael the labourer - was he the quiet, well spoken bloke who had a thing going with a youngish woman who also worked there?

Anyone remember going in The Raven at dinner times?

Edited by vox2

My Dad worked there in the 80's and 90's i think. Kenneth Roberts - anybody remember him ??

I worked there in 1975, i remember ernest who was in the welding dept. michael the labourer was a lovely bloke but had a learning difficulty, but loved a good laugh. Do you remember jim higgingbottom, edmond who worked with jim. jean mitchells bite were worst than her bite! Do you also remember little george? he was a good laugh.