Front suspension of my Citreon C3 broken

Hello fellow C3 drivers

Is this a familiar story?

on monday morning i packed the kids in the car and attempted to drive to school/nursery/work.

nothing happened....

i got out and looked at the car, the car was listing heavily onto the passenger front tyre.

car was towed to garage and fixed- suspension spring had snapped.

i have read on the owners forum that i am not alone!

has this happened to your C3? And what happenned?

Is it true that citreon extended the warrenty on the springs?

Please share your experiences.

thanks

Sarah

Sadly, springs breaking is not uncommon and affects many makes of car, they can go without warning, and can shred a tyre (was yours damaged?)

I had one break on my Focus, but it was 9 years old by then, how old is your C3? You *might* have a claim against Citroen, but don't hold your breath. :(

It's speed bumps that do it i think.

That and poor quality metal/forging. You get a bit of a chip on the coating, water gets in and the spring weakens, eventually snapping, mine did a comedy "BOOOIIYYOOIYOOIYNGG" when i reversed out of a space, no need to look what had happened. :hihi:

I think there was a Citroen recall on this issue...might have just been the Berlingo though

Rubbish! It's overweight kids.........they should be running everywhere not being ferried around in cars!

EDIT

I'm joking.

Edited by davyboy
Just in case!

I think there was a Citroen recall on this issue...might have just been the Berlingo though
Picassos too, but what they did was to fit retention cups to stop broken springs from tearing the tyres, rather than replacing the springs. My guess is that snapping only affects a very small percentage of all the springs produced, so it wasn't worth replacing them all.

It's usually an easy DIY job to replace springs, which ought to be done in axle sets, like shock-absorbers.

common on bmw E36's as well. I know they didn't do a recall for them.

Just give your nearest citroen a ring and ask them. :thumbs:

so good i said it twice!

Edited by stimpy

I bought my Citroen C3 for £4900 after a very long research. I had a look at various other cars on the market and decided to buy this C3 ONLY based on economical and envirmental reasons. SAVING ON FUEL: I live 50 miles away from work and that means that on average I spend around £280 per month on fuel. Driving a car that consumes less diesel (55MPG) my fuel bill drops to around £180 per month.

thanks for your replies, well the helpful ones any way - we live in stocksbridge and i drop a teenager off in hillsborough for school on my way in to work and my daughter is nearly 2. should they run to school/nursery? what a ridiculus statement to make.

any way back on topic - i tool thr reciept for the repairs to evans halshaws (citreon dealer) and they will put a claim in for me. it cost 100 quid and apparently i was lucky the damage was not worse! i will let you know how i get on.

saz

Coincidence or what - 2 coil spring failures on 2 different cars in the family in the last couple of months. Looks like Citreon haven't got a monopoly on this problem? Both same - front off-side - both without warning after a journey and having being parked overnight. Just getting into 'em in the morning and they went! A Peugeot 306 with 120K on the clock - 1996 - seems to be reasonable at that age but what about a SAAB Sports Wagon with just 42K and only just over 3 years old! The Saab just collapsed against the tyre and alloy wheel spokes locking the whole wheel solid. Frightning it could have gone at speed - Saab have been contacted in no uncertain terms!:help::loopy: