Why do some people drop litter?

I agree. Absolutely no need to drop litter and it's even worse when theres bins more or less at the side of you!

Just makes the place look even more untidy.

When there's too many bins, this makes the place untidy as well.

It's a total lack of respect, both for your environment, and for others, who have to look at it.

The worst thing is people who walk their dogs and allow them to foul without picking it up - our council DOES NOT clamp down enough on this. If they were more interested in the health, safety, and quality of life of citizens, the council would have 'traffic-style wardens', handing out fines to dog owners.

We were parked up in a popular fast food outlet's car park, and my girlfriend got out of the car to put the packaging in the bin, which was next to the car.

There was a car a few spaces down which was rammed with chavscum, one of them stuck his spotty head out of the window and said to my other half 'Whatcha doin dat for, someone gets paid to pick it up innit?' before depositing their packaging all over the floor.

So there you go, it's some form of philanthropy, keeping cleaning staff in work.

It's a cultural thing. Travels round cities in other nations has proven this to me. In Britain there is a culture of shoulder shrugging. Even the jewel in the national crown, London is scruffy compared to Paris. Berlin unsurprisingly has no litter.

why do some people drop litter can they not use the bins provided .

When i catch the train to chesterfield from dronfield the shelter is usually strewn with chip papers and chips all over the floor yet there are bins on the platform and there is even one fastened to the side of the shelter.

Are these people too idle to get off there backsides and put the litter in the nearest bin.

They are just trying to show what a marvellous upbringing they've had and what a credit they are to their parents:gag:

My former neighbour who was a real pain( and her family )for everyone,used to clean her car out with the hoover with music blasting out.I'm sure she did a good job of her car,but she would throw the litter all over the street!!!!!!

Another neighbour one day picked it all up and posted it back through her letterbox:D

The bin men were late one day (usually morning pick up) and ended up with the bin truck parked outside our house for their lunch break.There on the side was a huge penalty poster for a fine of dropping litter.As they finished their lunch various items were thrown out and landed on the pavement!!!!!!!!!

I would just like to ask anyone who drops litter, to think again. Not only does it look untidy but spare a thought for puppy/dog walkers. I recently got a border terrier pup (he's 7 months old now) and until I got him I didnt realise just how much litter there was. Its the little things like bottle tops, bits of paper, foil, plastic wrapping, cigarette ends and worst of all chewing gum. The amount of times I have had to pull stuff out of his mouth before he swallows it is incredible. The worst offenders are small football clubs who use the local playing fields most evenings. Also, postmen/women who chuck rubber bands on the floor from their bundles os letters. PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE DROPPING LITTER!!! Thank you.

If you see a piece of litter try picking it up yourself rather than just getting angry about it. People are less likely to drop litter when in a litter-free environment and, conversely, it's amazing how fast piles of rubbish can grow when people who would normally put their litter in a bin add to the pile because "someone's going to have to clear up that pile anyway". I know there is a "why should 'I' have to do it" mentality but I believe that your actions clean up the streets indirectly by more than the amount you physically pick up yourself.

I totally agree with this post, and would add that there is nothing to stop us saying something to people dropping the litter.

I was following a car when litter was thrown out of the window as we were approaching traffic lights, which turned red. So I got out of the car and told the driver that it was irresponsible and against the law to drop litter. He was very apologetic and said it had been one of his children who had done it. Pulled over then walked back and retrieved it.....

I had a problem some time ago with litter left around and in the grit bin outside my home... so I made a point of going out each time there were children there and telling them that I had no objection to them being there, but I really didn't want any litter left when they went home, and I gave them the option of using my bin... which they did. Sometimes all that is needed is for us to draw their attention to what they've done, in a proper assertive manner. In the street I always find that ''Excuse me but I think you have dropped something.'' works well, and they pick up whatever it is and take it with them.

Only once have I had a negative response, like 'it keeps the street cleaners in work'... in which case I just picked up the discarded food wrapper, binned it, and said ''See, that is how simple it is.''

There are more of 'us' than 'them' so all we have to do is to be a tad more determined than they are to put a stop to it? If you see a child dropping litter, then confront them, even if they are with their parents... How else will they know it's wrong?

Personally I think it's a revolting habit to eat food in the street anyway... but that's just my opinion. What happened to sitting around a table?