Why do some people drop litter?

People drop litter because they haven't been taught not to - blame the parents

I don't think theres any1 in the world whos never dropped a piece of litter in there lives.

Yes there is :)

I think that dropping litter is just a sign about how little some people care for themselves. Why would anyone choose to live in a world covered in litter?

Dare I suggest that if parents do not teach their children not to drop litter, then that explains it?

but it's not JUST children that drop litter is it? I've seen young adults and OAP's dropping it!

It is obviously a deliberate action, the psychology of which eludes me. Perhaps they are marking their territory, or as a sign of protest, or laying down some kind of challenge to society? Wonder what they'd say if someone flung a half eaten pizza onto their lounge carpet.

Edited by carosio
spelling

Dare I suggest that if parents do not teach their children not to drop litter, then that explains it?

My kids know not to drop it, but I've caught my son doing it with starburst wrappers, he was looking at me (to make sure I wasn't watching) and then let go of the wrapper behind his back, I was watching, oops.

It's weird, but you don't see half as much litter in european cities.Whether that's because they pick it up more efficiently, or just drop less, I don't know.

It's bad here around Empire road, drifts of the stuff. It's one of the few things that does get me down - such a simple change in behaviour would lead to such a great improvement in the milieu.

I think its all about laziness and respect. People that drop litter have either not learnt how to respect their surroundings and others yet or or never will.

My kids know not to drop it, but I've caught my son doing it with starburst wrappers, he was looking at me (to make sure I wasn't watching) and then let go of the wrapper behind his back, I was watching, oops.
I hope you gave him a Scutch :D

...Wonder what they'd say if someone flung a half eaten pizza onto their lounge carpet.

That never bothered Wayne and Waynetta Slob :hihi:

Edited by horribleblob

It was ground into me from a young age not to and I could not due to feeling guilty afterwards.

Now my son knows not to throw litter on the floor now too!!

Supose its just how you were brought up!!

I think its all about laziness and respect. People that drop litter have either not learnt how to respect their surroundings and others yet or or never will.

Agreed. Its simply easier to drop litter than pop it in the bin or your pocket. I used to have to pick it up round my old flat as it bothered me intensely looking at it. There was a bin like two metres from the area that all the litter got dropped (and it was lidded so you know it was dropped) which was particularly annoying. Glad I live in a gated community now though as theres none inside so far!