Ghost hunting in sheffield behind owlerton stadium

hi when i was a young un we used to drive around looking for ghosts and we came accross an old 17th and 18th century grave yard where a lot of the bodys had been dug up , the old graves were situed next to coopers car spares behind owlerton stadium

my work mate said he went for a bit for his car and it was getting dark , the man at the scrap yard said to my mate hurry up its going dark my mate said why its ok the scrap yard guy said its not wait till they come out and youll see,

my mate pete just shot off , he told me about it and we went to investigate

it was really scary in the dead of night we thought and felt we were being watched

does anyone know the history of this area was there a church??

and why have some of the bodys been dug up

Apparently from what I've heard, the history of this place goes back to Norman times when the lord of the area massacerd a settlement for not paying it's taxes. There was a church in the area, who according to legend went mad and started eating the rotting corpses that was burried in the cemetery.

Not sure if i belive it but thats what I have been told about the area.

I believe it is called Wardsend Cemetery.

Edited by carosio

& the bodys snatched I believe were in the the late 19th century and they were taken without permission for Medical students, there was a riot from descendants and a so called ring leader was burnt out of his home.

Lee steer you going to do a investigation there? i would love to join

When my brother in law was about 18 and was at college at Shirecliffe he used to walk through the cemetery on his way home to Winn Gardens. Being a young lad he used to kick stones and scuff sticks etc. One day he kicked an old carpet, and was most shocked when it moved and sat up, it was an old tramp, but he never stopped running until he reached home.

I remember as a kid going down there, we were fascinated with it. Had forgotten all about it till i read this.

if anyone fancys a walk around at night let me know id love to join in , im not going allllooone (spooky)

I had a look round a few years ago. I remember feeling very uneasy and have no wish to ever go back there.

Watch out for the rats if you go to Wardsend Cemetry there are a few 1000 about, i don't think the place is haunted at all having investigated it before.

its just an old grave yard, when i was about 15 we used to sit in it drinking cider and lay in the empty graves scaring each other, if i remember right the first empty grave you will see is call george or something. the reason they are dug up (from what i have been told) is that the coffins contained Lead/copper so people would dig the graves to sell it.