A shop called 'Cow'? What's that all about?

Could I take this opportunity to remind people that the shop's name is nothing to dowith the bovine animal and is actually an acronym. It stands for "Country And Western" and relates to the fact that the shop's original intention was to sell line dancing clothing.

Think dell12 is thinking of another shop? Cow is a 'vintage' shop, in the loosest sense of the word, selling 80's stuff for about a tenner a pop... If you want to go out dressed like Susan Sulley, good luck to you!

And yeah - they have lads stuff upstairs, and that includes some new tshirts and jeans...

cant beat the 80`s -the best decade:thumbsup:

They should have painted the shop orange.

i often laugh when i see "students" (as the example) in shops like cow and others buying well overpriced "retro" gear to be trendy.

Get to charity shops, lot cheaper and the moeny goes to a good cause.

haha some ofthe responses are class, yet they should sell milk etc :) not had chance to look in yet but it has caught my eye, i have heard its not all that bad, but thats all a matter of opinion i suppose

Could I take this opportunity to remind people that the shop's name is nothing to dowith the bovine animal and is actually an acronym. It stands for "Country And Western" and relates to the fact that the shop's original intention was to sell line dancing clothing.

If it is an acronym for Country and Western shouldn't it be CAW?

They wanted to, but the "CAW" name had been registered by a bloke who wants to open a chain of crow-themed bars across Northern England.

country OR western?!

i often laugh when i see "students" (as the example) in shops like cow and others buying well overpriced "retro" gear to be trendy.

Get to charity shops, lot cheaper and the moeny goes to a good cause.

Quite often what you find is that the 'vintage' shops get their stuff from charity shops, and sell at inflated prices.

Looks like a shop completely designed for students! who dress like this because they think they are being 'individuals' when they are just following a commercial trend.

Could you provide me with a section of the community who doesn't follow a commercial trend? Students shop in these shops because the clothes are cheap, and are no longer as commercially available in normal high streets. Though it was once a 'commercial trend' you are unlikely to walk into a room and find a 3 people staring back at you wearing the same top... And yes these shops are 'designed for students', I'd imagine that is why it is strategically placed on West Street, which is quite near where a lot of students live, I believe...

I don't know what the name means, all I know it looks a complete "Cow" painted in bright yellow. I am really surprised that the council allowed them to do it, but then knowing Sheffield Council maybe not.

They should have painted the shop orange.

I love the fact it's yellow, causes so much confusion to people when you explain it's on the corner of West St and Orange St :hihi: