A61: Penistone Road Safety Campaign

People need to read the web site, they really do - AND read what I write over various posts on here, as SPEED BUMPS aren't the way forward and they are NOT what we are pushing for, nor are we pushing to have the A61 changed from an A Road!

The campaign has been launched for many reasons but one of the biggest reasons was to discuss what would be the best methods to use along the A Road to help prevent further accidents resulting in fatalities. We are never going to prevent accidents from happening... that's a given unfortunately and we know that.

On our web site http://www.a61roadsafety.co.cc we have some official statistics relating to the accidents over the years. These cover the time period from 01/03/2004 up to the 22/02/2009 and it shows that only around 44% of which attributed to dangerous driving, and fully justifies our campaign.

The fact of the matter is two people decided to launch the campaign who actually care enough about the welfare of others as well as themselves who use this particular road on a daily basis. If we can make a difference, then brilliant - the fact is there will always be people who have a difference of opinion and that's fine, not a problem, don't come on board, it is completely up to you. If the campaign ends up being unsuccessful, then at least we tried and I am proud enough of myself to say that I was the one who started the campaign in the first place and tried to make a difference. However, the way things are going, I think we will be making a difference in some way or another!

As I have said on the other thread on this same subject

QUOTE...The least they could do is to paint double white "no overtaking" lines down the centre of the road, I cant believe that you can legally (but stupidly)overtake on that bend.:loopy::loopy::loopy:...END QUOTE

Would double white lines actually stop anyone who was that stupid in the first place?

People need to read the web site, they really do - AND read what I write over various posts on here, as SPEED BUMPS aren't the way forward and they are NOT what we are pushing for, nor are we pushing to have the A61 changed from an A Road!

That may not have been your intention when you started the campaign, but we all know that the council only has one way of dealing with this i.e. lowering the speed limit and downgrading the road. Need some evidence... just look at most roads out of the city. Doesn't matter whether it's a dual carriageway even - just slap a lower speed limit on it and all will be well.

The countless (3) accidents mentioned, what did the police reports identify as causative factors?

How can you have a discussion about improving the road safety without understanding the root causes of any accidents?

+1

As a regular user of this road I do not understand why these collisions have occurred, the corner is not a problem (imho).

+1

As a regular user of this road I do not understand why these collisions have occurred, the corner is not a problem (imho).

Because some people drive like morons. I was out there last monday and two pr!cks were racing through there in their Clios. Overtaking recklessly and putting others lives at risk.

If I'm called in to work in the middle of the night, I keep to between 55-60 mph apart from the bend which was rebuilt, and the bend before the stables coming into town, where I drop down to around 40-45mph. I've never skidded, hit the kerb, had to brake hard or had any sort of accident (or even come close). So why would the speed limits need lowering?

Obviously I go slower when the weather conditions dictate that it's necessary - especially the final bend before the straight stretch leading to the 30 limit, because water collects there, which could lead to aquaplaning.

One night last week on my way home at teatime I was stuck behind a car that did mostly 35mph, even on the straight stretches. Even a big wagon in front of him pulled away out of sight. That was until he was going down the hill after the garage. That's where he decided to accelerate up to 60mph so that it wasn't possible to pass him going up the hill where there are two lanes without going faster than the speed limit - why do so many slow drivers do this?

In my opinion it's that style of driving which leads to accidents because there is certainly a lot of temptation to overtake where the white lines permit, or to put your foot down & overtake going up the hill.

People often pull out of the side roads and do no more than 40mph heading into town in the mornings (even if there is hardly any other traffic around), but keep doing the same speed where they should drop down to 30mph, braking to 30mph just before the camera.

I'm curious as to why anyone would think there should be a pavement both sides of the road as the amount of people who would make use of it would be minimal since there are hardly any buildings on the other side of the road for people to need to get to and from.

My husband was John Fowler who died on 30 Dec 08 on the A61. Some of the comments from people are so selfish and unbelievable. Until a loved one dies in a road accident people have no idea of the grief and devastation caused to the relatives of the loved one. Perhaps if some of the human beings???? making unreal comments had been a fly on my wall the past three months and seen the ruined lives of myself, my two sons and other relatives they would hang their heads in shame.

I would like to say thank you to Claire and Damien who have started the petition. Thank god there are people like this in the world.

Because some people drive like morons. I was out there last monday and two pr!cks were racing through there in their Clios. Overtaking recklessly and putting others lives at risk.

Changing the speed limit will have no effect on behaviour like this though.

Where do I sign? This road with more restrictions would be daft, if people pay attention to the large signs advising of big bends there wouldn't be as many(not really that many compared to some rds) incidents!!

I agree. Maybe if the bad surface is a problem the council should invest some time and money into improving our roads. I for one, do not want more humps and speed cameras.

IMHO, roads don't kill people - bad driving does, so the answer is better driver education, not more speed restrictions.

Re-testing anyone?

Changing the speed limit will have no effect on behaviour like this though.
I never advocated changing the speed limit. :huh: