Fair in the Farm grounds, 1950s

Great Hillsbro, but dunnit make yer feel old.....:sad:

Great Hillsbro, but dunnit make yer feel old.....:sad:
It sure duz - but i'm past caring. Sixty-seven not out ain't a bad innings....:P

In fact my (older.;)) brother tells me that Lilly Yokoi came to Sheffield again when she was touring with the Harlem Globetrotters. They put on a display match at the Sheffield Wednesday ground in the late 1950s.

On 26/07/2015 at 04:52, hillsbro said:

Indeed you couldn't. On another occasion the lady acrobat was Lilly Yokoi, the "Ballerina of the Bicycle" - see here. I even got her autograph in my book! I don't think there was ever a boxing kangaroo, though (scroll down from Lilly)..:P

Hello Hillsbro, i have only just started looking thru the forum on Sheffield. I left Sheffield in 1967, been back  a few times and still have Family there. My Father was a teacher at St. Georges school for most of his life, and had some sort of connection with the Star newspaper which i think lead to him organising kids from the school to collect all the litter left at Farm Grounds each morning. During the day they would work in various jobs like the refreshment tent etc. and get very well paid for their waork, a god send to some of the Families. I used to go as well and we all slept overnight in the various tents. I remember  sleeping in the bar tent and a ST. Johns ambulance at one time. My job during the was turning the pages for the pianist on the main stage and acting as a stage hand. I remeber acts like Alan Alan the great escapologist, i once escaped from his straight jacket, and the great Blondini who blew a big hole in the stage one performace. I remember one act with a chimpanze and i held the curtain open for him when they left the stage and the bloody chimp  hit me as they left and knocked me about 6 feet away. These were wonderful days that will never be seen again, i boxed one day at Ronnie Crookes ring and made 10 bob and remember most of the side shows.