Fair in the Farm grounds, 1950s

That would actually be Ted Spooner's at 395 Langsett Road (four doors away from the Queen's Ground Hotel, opposite the Phoenix)

I spoke to you earlier about the ice cream industry in the 50/60s, well it was Spooners who made and supplied all the chimes to us, he would put a wind up movement into a wooden box and link it to a speaker that was fitted under the vans.

They were simple things that did the job well enough but were overtaken in the 60s by new fangled electric ones with thousands of song choices ( Harry Lime, Clementine, Popeye etc) far more compact and you could change the movement yourself for less than a fiver.

Spooners tended to be from the classics, ie Mozart and Beethoven but he once made a set with a four tunes on one barrel for Rosie Monfredi ( Mrs. Truffelli) that was sought after by everyone but he had promised exclusivity to John her son when he commissioned them.

The songs were from the shows and were ... two hearts in waltztime, Rio Rita, Markita and another that escapes me from the Student Prince.

The chimes made people stop in the street and listen or hum along.

Simple times with simple needs.

Keep up the contributions Hillsbro, I always enjoy reading your knowledgeable little snippets.

Hi rossysooney - it's interesting to read your recollections. Ted Spooner gave my dad some advice on getting his old musical box repaired. I think it was Truffelli's (?) who sold ice cream at the Farm Grounds galas - they would certainly do well on a sunny weekend, with or without chimes!

I spoke to you earlier about the ice cream industry in the 50/60s, well it was Spooners who made and supplied all the chimes to us, he would put a wind up movement into a wooden box and link it to a speaker that was fitted under the vans.

They were simple things that did the job well enough but were overtaken in the 60s by new fangled electric ones with thousands of song choices ( Harry Lime, Clementine, Popeye etc) far more compact and you could change the movement yourself for less than a fiver.

Spooners tended to be from the classics, ie Mozart and Beethoven but he once made a set with a four tunes on one barrel for Rosie Monfredi ( Mrs. Truffelli) that was sought after by everyone but he had promised exclusivity to John her son when he commissioned them.

The songs were from the shows and were ... two hearts in waltztime, Rio Rita, Markita and another that escapes me from the Student Prince.

The chimes made people stop in the street and listen or hum along.

Simple times with simple needs.

Keep up the contributions Hillsbro, I always enjoy reading your knowledgeable little snippets.

There was a rumour, probably started by Taggys, that Manfedi peed in their ice cream.

It was current with adults on the Arbourthorne circa 1947.

Can you believe how naïve folks were?

Edited by trastrick

There was a rumour, probably started by Taggys, that Manfedi peed in their ice cream.

It was current with adults on the Arbourthorne circa 1947.

Can you believe how naïve folks were?

........Don't know about that one,but I heard that in the ice cream wars period,competitors were rushing up to wagons and chucking sand in each others ice cream containers ??? thus rendering ice cream @ one pound ten shillings to produce but selling for about 25 quid...........useless!!!

I am sure Hillsboro's mate Trev Ronksley (Who I sing carols with at Dennis Norths on Boxing day could throw some light on the matter?

I'm sure Walls peed in theirs .....or worse!

Edited by mossdog

........Don't know about that one,but I heard that in the ice cream wars period,competitors were rushing up to wagons and chucking sand in each others ice cream containers ??? thus rendering ice cream @ one pound ten shillings to produce but selling for about 25 quid...........useless!!!

I am sure Hillsboro's mate Trev Ronksley (Who I sing carols with at Dennis Norths on Boxing day could throw some light on the matter?

I'm sure Walls peed in theirs .....or worse!

Trevor unfortunately passed away last year mossdog and to make matters worse his father Jack also died less than a week later.

My apologies for being the bearer of such sad news.

Trevor unfortunately passed away last year mossdog and to make matters worse his father Jack also died less than a week later.

My apologies for being the bearer of such sad news.

...........Yes thanks for the info..............very sad! nice fella Trevor! RIP.

Yes - that's right; he was very good, and deserved to win. In fact, one of the panel of judges came to me afterwards and kindly told me that he had marked me down as No.1 on his list. At the time, Larry Adler (of "Genevieve" theme music fame) was my "idol", and my grandfather had bought me an expensive harmonica, imported from Germany - I still have it. I think it was at that year's gala (or maybe a year earlier/later) that one of the professional entertainers was a young lady acrobat. After climbing a ladder to the top of a pole, about 50 feet high, she then stood on a tiny platform on the top, doing gymnastics and then playing "Oh Mine Papa" on a trumpet like Eddie Calvert. As you say, good memories!

E by gum, I remember you, I was a Larry Adler fan at the time and couldn't he blow a tune

E by gum, I remember you, I was a Larry Adler fan at the time and couldn't he blow a tune

We all bought a chromatic harmonica around 1954.

Little did we know that the future was ..... the guitar!

Edited by trastrick

[a young lady acrobat. After climbing a ladder to the top of a pole, about 50 feet high, she then stood on a tiny platform on the top, doing gymnastics and then playing "Oh Mine Papa" on a trumpet like Eddie Calvert.

What a time! You couldn't make it up could you? :D

...a young lady acrobat. After climbing a ladder to the top of a pole, about 50 feet high, she then stood on a tiny platform on the top, doing gymnastics and then playing "Oh Mine Papa" on a trumpet like Eddie Calvert....

What a time! You couldn't make it up could you? :D

Indeed you couldn't. On another occasion the lady acrobat was Lilly Yokoi, the "Ballerina of the Bicycle" - see here. I even got her autograph in my book! I don't think there was ever a boxing kangaroo, though (scroll down from Lilly)..:P

Indeed you couldn't. On another occasion the lady acrobat was Lilly Yokoi, the "Ballerina of the Bicycle" - see here. I even got her autograph in my book! I don't think there was ever a boxing kangaroo, though (scroll down from Lilly)..:P

Incredible photos and footage.