Stubley Hollow riding school, Dronfield

it was maria that owned it when i use to go it was late 80s early 90s i use to stop every weekend it was great times. i dont think its a riding school anymore and just a livery. my favourite horse when i started was shazar but he had to be retired into the field across the roar. great times

i went on one of those weekends, and shazzar was my fav horse there had some good times at stubly as a girl

Fond memories... I used to muck out for lessons in the late seventies during school holidays, cant for the life of me remember any names but it was the best experience I had for practically free..

can you remember any of the workers

i went on one of those weekends, and shazzar was my fav horse there had some good times at stubly as a girl

not really just remember having a ball that weekend, i went riding there at least once a week sometimes more .

I remember Annie, Linzi and I think another instructors name was Helen I also remember liz who would always take the half day hacks and if she taught you would always take you back to basics!

Funnily enough I was a riding instructor for about 5 years and I would always take people back to basics if they started to get sloppy with their riding!! Nothing like an hour without stirrups to get people working hard!

Hi

I kept my horse at livery from 1980 to 1985 and helped out with lessons etc. Maria and Elwyn Moseley had the yard at that time I remember lots of the horses. Tommy, Biscuit, Shazar, Sharika, Geordie, Peril, Dylan, Joe, Levi, Herculese and many more liveries. I had a graet time there the only staff name I can remeber was Vicky. There were 5 Bull Mastif dogs a red setter a yellow labrador and a mongral.

Susan

I was there when it was maria who owned it. Aramis, Casey, whiskey (used to kick the wall lol) and cindy b. There was a massive horse there i remember a little, i think it was called Dyln or something like that. he had big ears that went to the sides. I remember the mirrors in on the walls in the in-door school. and riding the horses over the back to the larger fields to turn them out. I think there was a teacher called Liz and or Sue, i was so young i dont remember it too clearly.

happy times

x x x

Posted on behalf of a friend;

Hi. My name is Rachael and I worked at Stubley Hollow in the late 80's,

early 90'S. I worked with Judith, Debbie and Helen. With regards to Tosca, I

bought him off Maria when she sold the riding school. He lived out a happy

retirement and died 7 years ago. Little Debs who worked for Maria bought

Banshee and he died of colic shortly after. Whiskey stayed when the riding

school was sold and was eventually put down due to old age. When Maria sold

the riding school, a lot of the horses were sold off. I know the history of

all of them. Aramis who someone mentions stayed with Patsy as she had a

soft spot for him and he to lived out a happy retirement. Little Sammy is

still alive and lives with Liz who used to work at Stubley. If anyone else

wants to know anything about the horses then ask and I will try to let you

know.

Ah Rachel, I remember you. I'd love to know what happened to BJ, Brookie and Robbie if you know. They were 3 of my favourites - especially BJ. I seem to recall Brookie disappearing whilst I was riding there...

I was really upset when Sharika died too. Seem to remember her being injured whilst out in the field. So sad :(

Anne

Does anyone know what happened to Tango, I'm sure he stayed there for a while, also Freckles 2 of my favourites.

My very first lesson was on Whiskey! Grumpy little git that he was I did have a soft spot for him!

Also Donald the little stalion shetland that used to try it on with all the girls!

Edited by sarebear1982

hi i remember stubley hollow in the 80s used to stable my horse flare there had to walk her down the road to put her into the field we used for winter she almost killed me trying to jump in to the road had lessons with liz in the school flare did not like the mirrow and used to shy away from it liz said it was impossible to teach me because she was so naughty flare not liz happy days loed the girls up there

From my mate Rachael.

From memory and discussion with little Debs;

Brooky never recovered from a bout of strangles and was sadly put down.

BJ and Tango were sold when Patsy closed the riding school.

Freckles was sold to a friend of of mine. She died last year of colic.

Donald was kept by Nicki (Maria's daughter).