Stubley Hollow riding school, Dronfield

We used to train agility there, think the "club" still do, don't remember the horsey owners being dog friendly though (but happy to take cash).

McTaggart had a practice on London Rd in Sheffield:-

Now:- http://www.highfieldvetcentre.co.uk/

He drove a fabulous blue/white "Big Healey" (Austin-Healey 3000) sports car!

I used to help out at weekends in the mid sixties when I was 12/13 years old. The place was owned by Arthur and Wendy White. I remember the stable vet was called Mataggart and he had a pony called Baybcham.

There was also another helper, a young man called Harry who lived on theLowedges estate.

I can also remember one of the Horse owners/riders was called Mrs. Blake and I think she had two young daughters who also rode there.

The young man I mentioned earlier was called Harry Burton and he had a Jack Russell terrier called Spot

I remember Darley, giant of a horse, or so it seemed at the time.

I also rember Lin Fly a big wild black horse. A girl called Sue Robertson was out jumping with it one day and it landed on a fence post which went in the left side of the breast. Mactaggart came out cleaned the wound and sewed the hole closed. A few months later the horse was fit again. The hole was so big that Mactaggart had his whole hand in picking out pieces of fence post. Always respected the man after that.

I think it was Arthurs mother who lived in the old house in the stable yard. She had a vicious little Yorkshire Terrier with as I found out, very sharp teeth.

Edited by Jeremy Derby

Don't remember Harry but I did know Sue Robertson. She went to Sheffield Art College later on. Drove a Jeep. Arthur's mum was Doris.

The young man I mentioned earlier was called Harry Burton and he had a Jack Russell terrier called Spot

I remember Darley, giant of a horse, or so it seemed at the time.

I also rember Lin Fly a big wild black horse. A girl called Sue Robertson was out jumping with it one day and it landed on a fence post which went in the left side of the breast. Mactaggart came out cleaned the wound and sewed the hole closed. A few months later the horse was fit again. The hole was so big that Mactaggart had his whole hand in picking out pieces of fence post. Always respected the man after that.

I think it was Arthurs mother who lived in the old house in the stable yard. She had a vicious little Yorkshire Terrier with as I found out, very sharp teeth.

i think whiskey threw everyone off same with oliver my favourite was tosca. did you know any of the staff like rachel, debbie, sara, andrew, etc

I loved tosca! However tango and freckles where my favourites after cindy b. I was there when it was maria but stayed until pat? bought it and closed the riding school.

Toscawas an amazing jumping horse, i cant believe they closed it as a riding schoolit would be good to find out where all the staff went too.

I used to ride and then work at Stubley from 1989 to 1997. Had loads of favourites over the years from Casey, Mexi, Diego, Aramis, Banshee (even though he fell over a jump and rolled on me!) BJ, Robbie, Brookie (grumpy as hell but a great horse to ride) Freckles. Oh and you couldn't beat a bit of Decca for gymkhana games!

Tosca ended up at the stables where my friends horse Cheval was kept. Used to see him a lot.

Keep meaning to start a facebook group and get people to upload their old photos but haven't yet.

Anne

keep me informed and bring the photos on to here i would love to see some

The Facebook group is set up. It's called (imaginatively) I rode at Stubley Hollow Riding school. There's a few of my old photos on there but please spread the word. I'd love to get some more members on and see other people's photos.

I would upload some pics here too but they're quite big!

:D

I have just come across this forum! I used to ride at Stibley from around 1993 to when it closed as a riding school.

Tosca was my favourite pony I think every one used to love him and Charlie.B

Its great this is on here, if i can get onto to facebook Il definately have alook

I did my BHS riding stages at Stubley Hollow - I remember I was always given an enormous 18 hh grey to ride - I think his name was Oliver but don't quote me on that. I remember the indoor school very well as we had all our lessons in there. I don't remember the owners being overly friendly - she was a little no nonsense woman and the husband seemed to always be making himself look busy. The grooms lived in a messy domitory above one of the barns. We had to get changed there once when doing the BHS exams.