Big grey speed cameras?

On a similar track and seen yesterday in Rotherham. If you are stopped at a red light and an emergency vehicle comes along with its blue lights and siren going do you get "flashed" and fined if you pull forward over the stop line to let the blue light vehicle past?

I've been told that this has happened and that making way for a blue light is no excuse. In that case should you wait for the lights to change to green and stuff the emergency vehicle?

I am not asking about the morality of the action; what is the law enforcement position?

I believe that the only valid reason for passing a red light is if you were instructed to do so by a policemen/woman, and even this becomes a problem in terms of pictorial evididence of you doing such, and how you gain evidence of the instruction to do so.

Simple answer is no you sit there and make the emergency vehicle wait, common sense is not acceptable these days.

I believe that the only valid reason for passing a red light is if you were instructed to do so by a policemen/woman, and even this becomes a problem in terms of pictorial evididence of you doing such, and how you gain evidence of the instruction to do so.

Simple answer is no you sit there and make the emergency vehicle wait, common sense is not acceptable these days.

You are absolutely right, a fella in Sheffield had this didn't he? Courts wouldn't overturn it even though he proved he just moved to let an ambulance through. He was told that the emergency services are trained to navigate their way through

So yep, you should just sit there and wait for green, while someone's house burns to the ground

On a similar track and seen yesterday in Rotherham. If you are stopped at a red light and an emergency vehicle comes along with its blue lights and siren going do you get "flashed" and fined if you pull forward over the stop line to let the blue light vehicle past?

I've been told that this has happened and that making way for a blue light is no excuse. In that case should you wait for the lights to change to green and stuff the emergency vehicle?

I am not asking about the morality of the action; what is the law enforcement position?

Somebody I know passed a red light to allow a police car through with blue lights flashing. They then pulled over and came to talk to them, said they could fine them or whatever standard procedure is (I have forgotten now) but would let them off this time. Obviously that was more important than whatever emergency warranted the blue light response in the first place.

So I will now quite happily sit with an ambulance/fire engine/police car behind me if there is nowhere to go other than through a red light. If somebody is dying it is the rule makers in the wrong not the person sat at the lights.

Yes you do a guy in Doncaster pulled through a red light with a camera installed just trying to be helpfull to let a fire engine through he got fined it went to appeal it was upheld and he still had to pay it was in the national press at the time.

So I myself would not even consider doing it after that.

That's the problem with the whole speed/red light camera system - no discretion.

I agree, if there's a camera on the junction, no way am I going through a red light for an emergency vehicle unless a policeman specifically tells me to move through it.

unless a policeman specifically tells me to move through it.

TBH, i'd only do that if he gave me something signed with his name and number on it confirming that he was instructing me to do so and that I was therefore immune from prosecution.

And by the time we had completed that, the light would have gone to green anyway :confused:

Otherwise it's your word against his. The camera partnerships aren't very ameanable to any situation which deviates from that of you recieving letter and paying up immediately. To put it another way, they strongly believe in the idea of guilty until proven innocent

There is one on abbeydale road near Tescos by Shaws Motors i kept slowing down thinking it was a speed camera, then it flashed one day when a bloke in front of me went though the red light. Its illigal now for speed camera's to be grey which is what they used to be.

Just a quick question if you have already gone through the light when it was on green but your stuck in traffic does it get it when they change even though your at standstill and went through on green?

Just a quick question if you have already gone through the light when it was on green but your stuck in traffic does it get it when they change even though your at standstill and went through on green?

No, I believe they work on sensors buried into the tarmac just an inch or so over the line. So if you were stuck in the yellow box or whatever you should be ok

Oh ok i hope so not really anywhere i could move to

I regularly see the one on Halifax Road above Lidl and see it flash from time to time when cars and lorries go through at red.

You're safe sunblock.

Once you've passed through the lights at green you're ok.