"Irrational" fear of my baby choking

My baby is 7 months and has been eating finger foods for around a month now. She absolutely loves it but ever since she has been easting any food at all I have always been scared of her choking. When she first had solids, like puree's she gagged the first few times but Im sure that is to be expected. She also choked a little on a baby rice cake. I don't mean bad but she coughed it up herself. Now every time she is eating I am actually scared, and every little noise she makes I am jumping up in a panic. Has anyone else been like this and does it go away.

You might like to have a look at the research around baby led weaning. It deals really well with the choking / gagging issue. A wonderful woman - Gill Rapley did a DVD, and has now written a book on the subject. Hopefully it will help allay your fears. :)

Oh yes. All the time, she's 2 1/2 now. It was worse when she was first weaning, the fear has subsided now. I still have moments, hence never giving her food whilst she's in the back of the car! My hubby is worse and sometimes stands and watches her and says "chew, chew", I tell him to stop, as she's quite capable of eating.

The fear never goes away, but you really need to relax as you don't want to pass on any anixety to your child as they will react to it. Hard to relax though, I know. Anyway, your not a lone and I'm guessing most parents have the fear.

Thanks. I will take a look at it. I hope something can ease the fears, as I would like to be able to enjoy sharing meal times with my baby.

I'll second treadlightly's post on baby led weaning. The book is excellent.