Countries back pedalling on the smoking ban.

Yes it damn well should.

If I opened a smokers pub, would you visit?

yep ,when its opening :thumbsup:

Some friends of mine are smokers and they hardly ever go to the pub here nowadays. They went to Spain for a holiday and said it was lovely being able to have a cigarette with their drink. They are now thinking of moving abroad because they feel their freedom is being denied.

its lovely abroad being able to have a cig with your meal or drink . also you dont see the non smokers complaining or staying away because of smokers .

im afraid this government will learn the hard way with this stupid ban .

also ,how can the government ban something which are perfectly legal to buy ?:huh:

Although the goverment told us it would increase the number of people in pubs, l always thought it would keep people away, and it seems that in truth that is what has happened.

Thats because the majority of people who used to frequent pubs where smokers

Quite simple. Revenue from the (inordinate amount of) tax:|

Exactly, no balls, thats why they have put the onus on the pub landlords etc to police this stupid law.

I am not sure if it has changed now but originaly a person found smoking on the premises was fined £50 and yet, if you was seen outside and you threw your fag on the floor you was fined £80 and yet the landlord was not obliged to provide an ashtray.

Seems the best solution was to carry on smoking in the pub :huh:

Quite simple. Revenue from the (inordinate amount of) tax:|

That don't work, we just go and get our own from abroad, the higher they raise the taxes, the more people that will latch onto the go and get your own philosophy.

Oh the lost days of a castella and a pint... count me in for the anti tree hugging greenpeace save the whale folkies wine bar snob coffee shop wannabee intellectuals pub anyday.. You dont wanna breathe my smoke ??? Shift then :thumbsup:

That don't work, we just go and get our own from abroad, the higher they raise the taxes, the more people that will latch onto the go and get your own philosophy.

spot on . we go to greece 3 times a year and i bring back enough cigs and bacca to last me to our next visit -so i never have to buy any here

In spain most place let you smoke now, they leave it to the pubs owners to make the choice.

France seem to following suit.

dozens of pubs closing down every week since the smoking ban.

do you think it should be down to choice ?

It already is. People can choose to either go outside for a smoke or stay inside and not smoke. That is a choice. What you are arguing for is exactly the oposite of smokers not having to choose at all and being able to both smoke and stay inside.

To quote old Maggie let them turn if they want to but there should be no U turn here on smoking.

In spain most place let you smoke now, they leave it to the pubs owners to make the choice.

France seem to following suit.

dozens of pubs closing down every week since the smoking ban.

do you think it should be down to choice ?

This is nothing new. France and Spain (plus many other EU nations) have historically chosen only to enforce the laws they agree with and turn a blind eye the the ones they don't.

Unlike us, they don't employ local gestapo (in the form of council officials) to snitch on those who transgress minor bureaucracies.

And also, unlike us, they treat worthless little tell-tales (who have nothing better to do with their sad little lives other than report people from the security of their anonymity) with the contempt they deserve.

Although the goverment told us it would increase the number of people in pubs, l always thought it would keep people away, and it seems that in truth that is what has happened.

I knew it wouldn't, I personally thought there should be a choice to keep everyone happy.

The worst thing about the ban is the creation of tension amongst people.

It has led to an 'us and them' attitude with regards to some smokers/non smokers. Somebody was shot when asking a person to stop smoking.

Recently I think I was been abused in the street by a non smoker. A drunken girl said, 'I like your bag, I like your hat, but not your cigarette' and began ranting about smoking. I didn't say anything as I wasn't expecting a comment like that.

I knew it wouldn't, I personally thought there should be a choice to keep everyone happy.

The worst thing about the ban is the creation of tension amongst people.

It has led to an 'us and them' attitude with regards to some smokers/non smokers. Somebody was shot when asking a person to stop smoking.

Recently I think I was been abused in the street by a non smoker. A drunken girl said, 'I like your bag, I like your hat, but not your cigarette' and began ranting about smoking. I didn't say anything as I wasn't expecting a comment like that.

Before the no smoking ban came into effect, I was assaulted in the Witherspoons by some tosser on an ego trip.

I'm sat on the safe side of the "no smoking" sign chatting away, or at least I thought I was, a member of staff took the fag out of my mouth and stamped it out in the ashtray, points at the sign and says "no smokin", I adds "beyond this point, I'm not beyond that point" (which happened to be what the sign actually said), so I lit another up, he then tried to strangle me from behind, tilting me backwards on the chair.

My none smoking work buddies, seemed to think this acceptable, and did nothing, when I got up the staff member was seriously inches away from having his life ended at that point, I was gonna cave his head in aganst the wall behind him until he was a bloody mess, he'd tried to kill me as far as I was concerned, he was lucky he walked away.

My none smoking buddies said "why do you have to live your life like that?".

Like what?

"smoking".

you mean to tell me that its perfectly ok to be assaulted because I smoke.

"no but it wouldn't happen if you didn't smoke".

So its my fault that someone tries to strangle me, because I enjoy doing something that he appears not to like, I can see you anti-smokers getting yourselves killed.

"well no he was out of order".

meh.

Edited by Digsy

About 10 years ago, maybe longer there was an article in the Publican Newspaper about one of the real ale corduroy wearing wooden benched (and wooden customers) we are far superior to you type pubs which after the owner/landlord decided to call time on the smokers was nearly forced to close his doors because the trade fell right off, neadless to say, he had to let the smokers back in.

And this was a pub that apparently himself and his customers wanted a smoke free pub :rolleyes:

over here in spain if you have a bar etc under 100 sq.metres you have the choice to allow or not allow.if your place is above 100 sq.metres you must have a seperate room or area with sufficient extractors if you wish to allow smoking.whatever you choose you must have a sign informing people.must say many people are really pleased they can still smoke,i have the best of both worlds by having an outside terrace,but as a non smoker i´ve always believed that in bars drinking and smoking etc go together.:nod:hasta luego