Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Why is the grammar and spelling so bad on this site?

:confused::rant:What is wrong with people, why do people find it so difficult to spell the most simple words or actually punctuate their spelling on Sheffield Forum? I see so much criticism about Foreigner's etc but many "so called English people" have such a poor understanding of the language.

God help our children in the future if this is the standard so many people adhere to on SF!

:confused::rant:What is wrong with people, why do people find it so difficult to spell the most simple words or actually punctuate their spelling on Sheffield Forum? I see so much criticism about Foreigner's etc but many "so called English people" have such a poor understanding of the language.

God help our children in the future if this is the standard so many people adhere to on SF!

Firstly, pot, kettle, black springs to mind, on reading your post. Secondly, some people can spell, punctuate and use grammar well, some cannot. There are many possible reasons for this, including dyslexia, poor education and laziness.

My advice to you is to read the message without judging the standard of the English. That way, you won't run the risk of underestimating someone.

Bad choice of subject, dude, could be anyone from any country posting on here, not always people with EFL.

Added to which you're not exactly in the top flight yourself when it comes to punctuation, so best not cast the first stone.

No capital F in 'foreigners', and no apostrophe either, if that helps? And personally, I'd go for 'simplest' rather than 'most simple' ;)

I'm sorry but we all make typos but to do this and not check your own post?

You post looks more like a dig at suspected racists than people with bad grammar, which one is it ?

Not everyone is good at composing sentences or spelling. Hopefully, by posting on forums like this - some will improve those skills.

Just a thought, if you are going to start a thread criticising spelling and grammar, make sure you don't make a gaffe like suggesting people 'punctuate their spelling' or include an errant apostrophe... ;)

I wasn't aware that it's an English lesson?:loopy:

Just because not everyone has had the same standard of educacation as you, does this mean they shouldn't post unless they can spell and punctuate well?? Have you ever thought some people might be dyslexic?

I did rubbish at school, my spelling and grammer is rubbish, but it's got a hell of a lot better since coming on here and putting it to practice. So don't knock people for trying. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

Firstly, pot, kettle, black springs to mind, on reading your post. Secondly, some people can spell, punctuate and use grammar well, some cannot. There are many possible reasons for this, including dyslexia, poor education and laziness.

My advice to you is to read the message without judging the standard of the English. That way, you won't run the risk of underestimating someone.

Yeah mon, beleeve this, im atcually a geeneus up dere wit Eenstoon and Steevun Hiking.

Because it is an open forum, for people from all walks of live and all age ranges. With Sheffield being the thing in common. Why not be a bit more forgiving and look at the people behind the spelling mistakes. Hopefully the will be as forgiving about your lack of consideration.

bobar thread. oops sorry. Bobar thread.

Why have you capitalised "Foreigner's"? Why have you used an possessive apostrophe for a plural?

"What is wrong with people?" is a complete question and should end with a question mark. Your next sentence ("why do people find it so difficult to spell the most simple words or actually punctuate their spelling on Sheffield Forum") is also a complete question and should start with a capital letter.

Why have you put the entire phrase "so called English people" in quotation marks. Surely you should have only quoted the words "so called".

HTH HAND

Its due to several factors; reading low standard english as in the Daily Star and Sun etc. (even The Times is riddled with bad syntax), not reading good quality literature, etc. Also some correspondents don't seem to "proof read" their article prior to sending it.