'Minimum priced' alcohol policy- should there be a 'maximum price,' too?

Scotland is to become the first country in Europe to set a minimum price for alcohol - raising the prospect that England could follow suit.

But, if there's going to be a minimum, then, why not a maximum, too?

The reason, because i went to a place, where they were charging a whopping £3.20 for a pint of lager.

Now that is utter daylight robbery, but as we live in a free world, if we set a minimum price on an item, then we surely ought to set a maximum, too!

The Government shouldn't be allowed to do it one way without the other.

What do you think?

I don't think it's the governement tbh- if the brewers are charging it to the landlords and they aren't in a situation like wetherspoons where they can take on the profit loss, the landlords have to raise beer prices now. I remember being charged £3.20 in london for premium beer and thinking that was tough, let alone a normal pint too. What good would putting a max price if they can't promise the same on inflation too, sadly, which would directly impact upon prices. :(

Read it carefully and you will see why.

This is no comparison to lager in a bog standard clear glass and that is not collectable...

Vintage No.1 is a new dessert beer from Carlesburg that now takes the No.1 spot as the most expensive beer in the world. At $400 U.S. per bottle, this brew shares hints of prune, caramel, vanilla and oak tree.

And if good beer alone doesn't sound tasty enough to entice you into parting with your cash, the bottle's label is also a collectible incorporating a hand-stenciled original lithographic print by Danish artist Frans Kannik. It looks like there are 4 different labels so the dedicated collector will have to spend some serious cash to get a complete set!

It is still expensive lager though isn't it? So would you allow a bottle of lager to be sold at $400?

i was in hollywood bowl last night, they are selling 4 bottles of heineken as a special offer for £10 what a rip off you can get a box of 20 for £10 at morrisons

Same old same, lets punish the responsible people by raising the price, its just an excuse that it will cut down on younger people drinking, it won't it will just mean extra revenue. Drugs are not cheap but it does not deter people from using them, if people want something enough they will go to any lengths to get it.

If young drinkers (below legal age) are finding it easily accessable, then, it is NOT due to the price, but the establishment that is illegally selling it to them.

On the comment on affordabilty, again, that is not my point, as i was able to afford the £3.20 a pint, but object to a price as high as that.

And, i've got a great job!

Its a basic thoery, that also works in practice.

If I sell something at a price that is not acceptable, people will vote against it quite simply by not purchasing it.

If I am the seller of said product, I either go under by not listening to my customers, or I reduce the price.

However, if the price remains at £3.20 a pint, then you have to make assumptions on that also. Maybe the people who buy such a drink have an even better job then your great one!

I would support a maximum price on soft drinks, especially post-mix, however, a maximum price per unit makes no sense. Market forces will dictate how much people are willing to pay for a particular drink.

Remember as well, down in London, where this law would be made (if it covered us), your "extortionate" £3.20 pint would probably have cost nearer £6. If you're going to set a maximum price, it would have to be set regionally (and sub regionally in cases - I'd guess sheffield is, on average, more expensive for the same drink than dinnington, but cheaper than leeds).

If young drinkers (below legal age) are finding it easily accessable, then, it is NOT due to the price, but the establishment that is illegally selling it to them.

On the comment on affordabilty, again, that is not my point, as i was able to afford the £3.20 a pint, but object to a price as high as that.

And, i've got a great job!

You have the choice of not paying it and not buying your beer from that establishment.

The only reason to introduce a minimum price is for social ones, not capitalist, there is no comparable one for a maximum price except for that fact that you'd like beer to be cheaper in some venues, which frankly, isn't much of an argument.

Same old same, lets punish the responsible people by raising the price, its just an excuse that it will cut down on younger people drinking, it won't it will just mean extra revenue. Drugs are not cheap but it does not deter people from using them, if people want something enough they will go to any lengths to get it.

Unless you drink tenents super or Asda's own lager how do you believe that a minimum price/unit will affect you?

Drugs are in fact very cheap and young people are finding that it is cheaper to take drugs instead of buying expensive alcohol in pubs and bars etc.

Getting high on drugs is now cheaper than spending an evening drinking, shocking figures revealed yesterday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-116815/Teenage-drugs-cheaper-alcohol.html

Scotland is to become the first country in Europe to set a minimum price for alcohol - raising the prospect that England could follow suit.

But, if there's going to be a minimum, then, why not a maximum, too?

The reason, because i went to a place, where they were charging a whopping £3.20 for a pint of lager.

Now that is utter daylight robbery, but as we live in a free world, if we set a minimum price on an item, then we surely ought to set a maximum, too!

The Government shouldn't be allowed to do it one way without the other.

What do you think?

They can charge as much as they want...nobody is forcing you to buy it. :)

<just shifting this to the right bit of the Forum ;)>