'Minimum priced' alcohol policy- should there be a 'maximum price,' too?

I did say that I didn't agree with the premise for a minimum.

You aren't presenting any argument for a maximum though, it just sounds like a winge about expensive beer.

Lots of things are regulated by our laws, but I've never seen a suggestion that anything with a minimum should also have a maximum and I can think of lots of counter examples.

Age for consenting to have sex.

Age for gettting married

Most age related things actually.

Minimum wage

Minimum sick pay, maternity pay, well, lots of pay things really.

Minimum health and safety standards.

Minimum skill requirements to hold licenses (ie to fly, to driver, etc)

Minimums are often put in place to protect either the vulnerable or society in general, sometimes maximums are put in place as well (speeds for example), but there's no intrinsic link between the two.

That is my point, if you prevent anyone from selling an item for whatever - even 'free' if they want then that is NO different to preventing anyone from selling an item for as much as they like.

I remember, during the fuel tax crisis, a forecourt in Manchester taking advantage and selling petrol at £10 a litre!

If you are going to control the minimum, then you should or ought to control the maximum price too.

Some items are sold with the price on the wrapping, whether it be cigarettes, chocolates, food etc. This prevents items being sold for MORE than the price on the wrapping.

In my oppinion, alcohol should NOT be sold for less than a certain price per unit and NOT more than a certain price per unit.

Then the business selling the product can only price within that margin.

For example: The minimum price per pint, let's say £2.00 and the maximum £3.00.

Then the business can ONLY sell that item within the minimum and the maximum. No more and no less.

It's totally wrong to force on us a minimum, if we do not at the other end of the scale prevent over pricing of a product.

When you start preventing 'open' pricing, you open up unfairness and abuse.

The tax revenue on alcohol sold at supermarket prices is still being received by the Government - which is there to supposedly pay for the downside of alcohol drinking.

If the supermarket wants to give it away for free, i would still think that the supermarket would still have to cover the alcohol tax that is destined for the Government coffers.

In my oppinion, alcohol should NOT be sold for less than a certain price per unit and NOT more than a certain price per unit.

Then the business selling the product can only price within that margin.

For example: The minimum price per pint, let's say £2.00 and the maximum £3.00.

Then the business can ONLY sell that item within the minimum and the maximum. No more and no less.

It's totally wrong to force on us a minimum, if we do not at the other end of the scale prevent over pricing of a product.

When you start preventing 'open' pricing, you open up unfairness and abuse.

The tax revenue on alcohol sold at supermarket prices is still being received by the Government - which is there to supposedly pay for the downside of alcohol drinking.

If the supermarket wants to give it away for free, i would still think that the supermarket would still have to cover the alcohol tax that is destined for the Government coffers.

What do you think a maximum price per unit should be then?

What do you think a maximum price per unit should be then?

It depends on what units of alcohol are in a particular drink.

Obviously, Stella is stronger than say Carling, so, the unit price would take into account of that.

If somewhere is too expensive, people will not buy it. If you think its extortionate, don't put your hands in your pocket!

If somewhere is too expensive, people will not buy it. If you think its extortionate, don't put your hands in your pocket!

That's NOT my point!

That's NOT my point!

It might not be your point, but it is entirely THE point.

A minimum is there solely to stop young drinkers finding it easily accessable.

If you can't afford a maximum, find a better job or go elsewhere!

I think pubs should be forced to put up alcohol but at the same time reduce soft drinks by a comparable amount.

I think pubs should be forced to put up alcohol but at the same time reduce soft drinks by a comparable amount.

Now that would be a forward thinking idea, I wonder what the markup on soft drinks is?

It depends on what units of alcohol are in a particular drink.

Obviously, Stella is stronger than say Carling, so, the unit price would take into account of that.

What about this lager which is $400 a bottle, would you want to outlaw it?

http://capitalchapter.blogspot.com/2008/02/carlsberg-launches-most-expensive-lager.html

It might not be your point, but it is entirely THE point.

A minimum is there solely to stop young drinkers finding it easily accessable.

If you can't afford a maximum, find a better job or go elsewhere!

If young drinkers (below legal age) are finding it easily accessable, then, it is NOT due to the price, but the establishment that is illegally selling it to them.

On the comment on affordabilty, again, that is not my point, as i was able to afford the £3.20 a pint, but object to a price as high as that.

And, i've got a great job!

What about this lager which is $400 a bottle, would you want to outlaw it?

http://capitalchapter.blogspot.com/2008/02/carlsberg-launches-most-expensive-lager.html

Read it carefully and you will see why.

This is no comparison to lager in a bog standard clear glass and that is not collectable...

Vintage No.1 is a new dessert beer from Carlesburg that now takes the No.1 spot as the most expensive beer in the world. At $400 U.S. per bottle, this brew shares hints of prune, caramel, vanilla and oak tree.

And if good beer alone doesn't sound tasty enough to entice you into parting with your cash, the bottle's label is also a collectible incorporating a hand-stenciled original lithographic print by Danish artist Frans Kannik. It looks like there are 4 different labels so the dedicated collector will have to spend some serious cash to get a complete set!