'Minimum priced' alcohol policy- should there be a 'maximum price,' too?

There is not a free market at the moment with alcohol, and you cannot sell it for any price you want to. To sell alcohol you need a licence issued by the government, even if you have a licence you still cannot sell it whenever you like to who ever you want. This proposal will simply become another regulation within then licence to sell alcohol.

Well, you certainly can sell alcohol for as much as you want and i do not know about the minimum price allowed, but i would think until the price policy is introduced you CAN sell it for nothing or even give it away if you want.

Well, you certainly can sell alcohol for as much as you want and i do not know about the minimum price allowed, but i would think until the price policy is introduced you CAN sell it for nothing or even give it away if you want.

What I am saying is that the average person cannot sell alcohol whenever they want for any amount that they want to. Firstly you need a licence to sell alcohol. If you manage to get a licence, that licence puts a lot of restrictions as to how and when you sell alcohol. The change in the law to sell alcohol at a minimal level would just become another restriction, amongst many.

There is currently no free market for selling alcohol in this country.

What I am saying is that the average person cannot sell alcohol whenever they want for any amount that they want to.

There is currently no free market for selling alcohol in this country.

I'm talking about the price AND price only.

Again, alcohol, as far as i am aware, CAN, for now, be sold at ANY price.

Only at certain times by certain people, to certain people, in certain places. There is no free market in alcohol sales, if there was how could you explain the above restrictions?

Only at certain times by certain people, to certain people, in certain places. There is no free market in alcohol sales, if there was how could you explain the above restrictions?

BUT it can be sold at ANY PRICE! I'm not disgussung WHEN it can be sold, but for how much it can be sold!

BUT it can be sold at ANY PRICE! I'm not disgussung WHEN it can be sold, but for how much it can be sold!

I made my point in relation to this post:

So WHY oh WHY can a minimum price policy on alcohol be allowed or on ANYTHING?

If I want to sell ANYTHING for NOTHING, then that is up to me.

I should NOT be told that I cannot set the price of my goods below a minimum set by the Government.

That surely keeps prices HIGH!!!

As I said above I was responding to the highlighted part.

Unless you have got a licence to sell alcohol, You currently cannot sell alcohol for any price let alone for nothing. If you did have a licence the police and licensing committee would be very concerned at you if you constantly gave your alcohol away for nothing, you would probably get your licence to sell alcohol revoked; or at the very best not renewed.

I made my point in relation to this post:

As I said above I was responding to the highlighted part.

Unless you have got a licence to sell alcohol, You currently cannot sell alcohol for any price let alone for nothing. If you did have a licence the police and licensing committee would be very concerned at you if you constantly gave your alcohol away for nothing, you would probably get your licence to sell alcohol revoked; or at the very best not renewed.

It is an hyperthetical suggestion that one could sell alcohol for nothing, and I AGREE, that if someone were to give it away, then, their license to sell it might be revoked. (But thinking about it now, if you are literally "giving" it away, you're not actually selling it!)

But i see your point.

Now let's assume I've got 3 bottles of wine and a 10 pack of Stella left over from Xmas- how much should I sell it for, or have I to give it away?

I realise it's a pointless non starter because i don't believe in a max or a min.

I BELIEVE IN A FREE MARKET!

But as others have said, repeatedly, there isn't, a free market. Restrictions have to be met and observed.

You asked in your original post if there should be a maximum price for alcohol. That is what I'm addressing. The answer is no. There is no reason for it.

There is a reason for a minimum price for alcohol, as discussed above. Whether you or I agree with the reason, or effectiveness, is academic. The point is, there is a reason. If you don't approve of a minimum price, write to your MP, the papers, ceefax, whatever.

So you want to talk about only one facet of alcohol sales, even though it's clear that the actual situation is much more complex.

And your main argument for a maximum price is that you don't agree with the reason for a minimum? Wouldn't you be better off just disagreeing with the minimum, that appears to make more sense.

So you want to talk about only one facet of alcohol sales, even though it's clear that the actual situation is much more complex.

And your main argument for a maximum price is that you don't agree with the reason for a minimum? Wouldn't you be better off just disagreeing with the minimum, that appears to make more sense.

That is what i object to- a minimum price policy, but if a minimum is introduced on ANY item surely a maximum has to be introduced.

I'm not suggesting on a maximum or a minimum, but if there is one, there has to be the other.

But as others have said, repeatedly, there isn't, a free market. Restrictions have to be met and observed.

You asked in your original post if there should be a maximum price for alcohol. That is what I'm addressing. The answer is no. There is no reason for it.

There is a reason for a minimum price for alcohol, as discussed above. Whether you or I agree with the reason, or effectiveness, is academic. The point is, there is a reason. If you don't approve of a minimum price, write to your MP, the papers, ceefax, whatever.

Or Sheffield Forum. That is what a forum is all about, isn't it?:nod: