Assisted Conception

My husband and I are going for our first appointment at the Assisted Conception Unit at the Jessop Wing next week. Was wondering if anyone on here been through this and if so, what happens at the first appointment?

Sorry i dont know anything about it, just wanted to wish you both good luck :)

My husband and I are going for our first appointment at the Assisted Conception Unit at the Jessop Wing next week. Was wondering if anyone on here been through this and if so, what happens at the first appointment?

Have been there twice!!!

Both DD1 and 2 were results of treatment carried out there.

At the first appointment we just chatted to the consultant about treatment options, funding and support services that the unit offers for its patients. As we had been through more basic forms of treatment (clomid etc) previously,they started us on IUI treatment (a step down from IVF, less 'involved'), Thankfully for both courses we were successful first time.

All the best for next week and heres hoping you get the 'result' you want.

Thank you very much and I'm glad it worked for you! I'm sure I will be on here again asking you more questions after Tuesday.

Edited by Emerald
typing error

Sorry i dont know anything about it, just wanted to wish you both good luck :)

Thank you :)

Hi

From what you say it sound like you know what the problems are.

If so and this is the first real IVF appointment (actual treatment) the first time you go the assisted conception unit you feel like it was a bit of a waste of time.

You spend most of the time talking about what will happen then you have to sign what seams like 100's of forms one of which is very bizarre as you can't sign it together in case you influence each others decision. It is all to do with if one of you dies will you allow the other to still use egg/sperm etc.

Good luck I hope it all works for you.

We got this far even down to waiting for af to start with the drugs and scans but I ended up getting caught - duff tube that won't let anything through.

Fingers x for you.

My appointment was cancelled and I didn't find out until Saturday afternoon via a letter hand delivered by my GP! That got me paniking, anyway the reason it was cancelled is because my GP hadn't done all the tests they require before a referral can be made. I have been to my GP today for further tests and have to wait 2 more weeks before I can have another blood test and then be referred again. I'm really annoyed about this because I waited so long for that appointment and now I have to wait all over again!

Gah, don't get me started on GP's, blood tests & waiting times!

I was almost at the ACU stage 2 years ago (until my marriage ended) so no advice as such, just wanted to wish you luck and I hope you aren't waiting too much longer, I know how frustrating it is!

Gah, don't get me started on GP's, blood tests & waiting times!

I was almost at the ACU stage 2 years ago (until my marriage ended) so no advice as such, just wanted to wish you luck and I hope you aren't waiting too much longer, I know how frustrating it is!

Thank you :thumbsup:

The staff at the ACU are so lovely and incredibly supportive. We were treated really well there all the way through our treatment and we are so grateful to them for everything they did for us (which includes giving us beautiful twin girls I'm proud to say). It is such a massive thing to go through - physically, emotionally and mentally (not to mention in our case, financially lol). I wish you all the best and hope you get a positive outcome.