Bands at working mens clubs

On 03/12/2011 at 19:42, Bruno said:

Was Bitter Sweets drummer "Tommy Sloane"?

Yes

On 14/01/2012 at 19:37, cyber said:

That sounds like the local band Ponders End, with John Parr doing the plectrum flicks. He went on to bigger things, His biggest hit was St. Elmo's Fire.

See the following link for info on John Parr

http://www.doncaster.tv/johnparr/jpgallery.htm

Just found out, I should have remmebered though, The band I saw was Mickeys Monkeys, later to become Ponders End.

The best band that I can recall on the clubs were O'Haras Playboys just superb filled every club they played at also regulars at the Mucky Duck.Also Joe Cocker great band and a great act.

Squealer were a good night out. They used to play the first half of their show in fancy dress.

I was female singer with ESCAFELD early '70s. We did the full Working Mens Club circuit round Sheffield, plus private clubs/hotels and dinner dances.  We did a few in Barnsley, and the Cherokee Club in Hull.

There has been no mention of The Pete Fender Show who played a lot of the clubs in the 1960,s.The singer (Trefor) was sadly killed in a car crash and that was the end of that band,although I believe the rest of the chaps continued with their musical interests.