Thursday afternoons in Sheffield - why do places shut early?

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

I dont get it.

I spelt it right.

I always thought Thursday used to be half day closing in Sheffield, but I could be wrong. Coles used to be closed on Mondays for staff training.

I dont get it.

I spelt it right.

I thought you were being funny, but you must be a young 'un. John Lewis was Cole Brothers many moons ago :hihi:

I thought you were being funny, but you must be a young 'un. John Lewis was Cole Brothers many moons ago :hihi:

If you define 25 as young, yes :)

Ah, definitely a young 'un then :thumbsup:

My partner moved here from London and he couldn't believe it when I said don't bother to go to such and such on a Thursday as it'll be shut :D He was also shocked at the way pubs are always shut in the day and especially Sunday lunchtimes.

Cos people go for there early evening venison stew it's a sheffield tradition

When I started work at C&A's in 1957 (yes straight from school) every shop closed half day in Sheffield. I think the choice of day was a regional thing but it had always been Thursday there. Butchers closed on Monday as well but I think that was something to do with delivery.

Thursday closing was good for me and my mates cos when we finished at one we would go on a coffee bar crawl around town.:thumbsup:

Only 6 and a half years ago in fact - the name changed in September 2002.

It still is Coles and always will be! Mind you,I still like Opal Fruits!

Only 6 and a half years ago in fact - the name changed in September 2002.

it had been JL since 1964, actually, but for some reason everyone still referred (And indeed, still do!) to it as "Coles". Myself included.

All towns used to have half day closing - In Nottingham it was always Tuesdays, Worksop always had Thursdays etc... Doctors often take days or afternoons off and close though, and this isn't linked - Just a coincidence that your drs shuts early on a Thursday, one near me closes at 11.30 on a Wednesday!

I would too if I was there...meet me on Lewis Corner doesn't have quite the same ring as meet me on Coles Corner does it?