Heeley Bank School, 1950s

That could be my younger brother Roy. We lived on Hartopp Rd and both went to Heeley Bank. The family later moved to Manor Park.

He's a member of this board and I'll refer him to your post.

Thanks

Thanks for that trastrick, it was Roy, I didn't mention his name before in case it caused somebody embarassment. I lived on Erskine Place up to 1965, but I can't remember you or your Roy at school, I'm 66 now so I would guess you're both older than me, I just remember Roy playing football, did he sign for Worksop? Anyhow, it's nice to hear from somebody from the old neighbourhood and I hope you're both in good health.

Yes that was Kenny he went there straight from school. He used to live on Derbyshire lane up near Grave's park.

Unfortunately Kenny passed away a few years ago..

Well, I'm really sad that it's only now that I've found out that Ken went to the same school as me, I chatted to Ken a good few times at work but never about our school days. Really likeable bloke was Kenny and he couldn't half sup ale! He spent years cleaning out sooty gas boilers with a special vacuum cleaner, I can still see him now in his boiler suit permanently covered in soot, wooly beret on his head with his biro stuck through the front of it like an arrow. I think his dream was to retire to his Spanish hide away, shame he never made it. R.I.P Kenny.

Thank you for the kind words, I'm Tony's brother. Yes we lived just above you on Hartopp Rd, and attended Heeley Bank upto S-2. We had a great school team then, and won the City Championship for 11yr olds, playing the Final at the Ball Inn ground of all places, in front of the entire school...what a thrill!! Mr.Simpkins was the coach

I ended up at Hurlfield when Heeley Bank moved all the boys over to Newfield, which I think was around 1957. because of where we lived - Hurlfield was so much closer. Had the last two years there and tried out for Sheffield Boys each year but didn't make the team. They had some good players at those tryouts who did turn pro for a short period, and then played on a couple of teams I had graduated to, mainly Retford Town.

Another boy from Heeley Bank who you would know, and myself, were invited as ground crew apprentices at Liverpool, (still have the leter someplace)!courtesy of Jack Simpkins scouting - or more "bird dogging" for them and also Aston Villa, along with an Irish guy called Jimmy Doran, who was also looking for talent for Liverpool, but in my case my mother who was a single parent wouldn't let me go, for various reasons.

Just to take it a little step further ...our family said he's "football mad" and I never missed a chance to play with anybody, anywhere, from the little level patch at the side of Midhill WMC, down to the little diamond at the bottom of East Bank road at the side of the prefabs behind the City Surveyors and also up on Black Banks where, if you shot too hard you'd be in for a five minute run down East Bank Rd, ending up almost at Farm Grounds lol. or if the kick went the other way, you'd have to take your chances treading through three foot high "gorze" bushes.... that hurt like hell.

One of my most treasured memories was meeting a bunch of classmates, kids all from around Thornboro', Walden and Myrtle Rds on Christmas Day when were about 7 yrs old, who like me had all gotten new football boots for Christmas, and there we were behind the City Surveyors ground, from about 11 till 4 on Christmas Day having a kick around, pretending "who" we were!!.

All this time I never realised their were secret admirers and fans out there, lol, and it's nice to think you would still remember me after what is more than 50 years (I'm being kind!!) Thank You!! I hope life has treated you well, and wish you all the very best. If you would like to p.m. me letting me know who you are, that would be really great!! Thanks again Roy

Roy, I just wrote you a fairly rambling reply and then lost it as I hadn't signed in properly, it's now past midnight and too late for me to do it again, so I'm going to have to back to it, until then, best wishes Terry, no longer a secret admirer!

Thanks for that trastrick, it was Roy, I didn't mention his name before in case it caused somebody embarassment. I lived on Erskine Place up to 1965, but I can't remember you or your Roy at school, I'm 66 now so I would guess you're both older than me, I just remember Roy playing football, did he sign for Worksop? Anyhow, it's nice to hear from somebody from the old neighbourhood and I hope you're both in good health.

We're both fine, thanks, and living in Toronto.

I probably used to deliver your "Star" when you were a babby. The Erskine prefabs were part of my paper route. We used to sledge down Erskine Cres.

Anyone remember Robert 'Wuz' Winter he was 13 in 1957 and went from Heeley to Newfield. Played football for Newfield when they won the Clegg Shield.

Yes many of us remember Wuzzie, and if you could please let him know about the Heeley Bank school reunion mentioned a number of times on this thread it would be very much appreciated. I tried sometime ago to make contact with Robert but to no avail.

Can you please let him know both Harry Gilbert and Roy Rastrick have put this reunion - or meet up together, and hopefully we will see about 20 or so of his old 11+ class at the Kenwood. Thank you....if you would like to pm me please feel free to do so with Robert's coordinates.

We're both fine, thanks, and living in Toronto.

I probably used to deliver your "Star" when you were a babby. The Erskine prefabs were part of my paper route. We used to sledge down Erskine Cres.

That was a pretty good sledging track, til you got to the bottom! It seemed to last for ages too, I suppose because there were no road gritters then.

That was a pretty good sledging track, til you got to the bottom! It seemed to last for ages too, I suppose because there were no road gritters then.

Just a thought. At the bottom of Erskine Cres, a couple of houses along from the corner, bottom side, there was a beautiful little girl that used to wait at the top of the steps for the paper. She was about nine (maybe your age then) and had dark hair and big brown eyes. I used to mentally calculate how old I would be when she was eighteen. Don't worry, it was all innocent, but seeing her made my day.

Ring a bell?

Just a thought. At the bottom of Erskine Cres, a couple of houses along from the corner, bottom side, there was a beautiful little girl that used to wait at the top of the steps for the paper. She was about nine (maybe your age then) and had dark hair and big brown eyes. I used to mentally calculate how old I would be when she was eighteen. Don't worry, it was all innocent, but seeing her made my day.

Ring a bell?

Sort of trastrick, now you've mentioned her I think I know who you mean, I can't rember her name but I think she was a local beauty queen in her teens. I believe the older brother of a youth I knew was her boyfriend, something else comes to mind but you never know who's reading this! I can't remember any of the names but images of all of them are frozen in my memory. I seem to remember that occasionally we would go round the back of the Myrtle Road co-op to try and spy her in her bedroom!

Sort of trastrick, now you've mentioned her I think I know who you mean, I can't rember her name but I think she was a local beauty queen in her teens. I believe the older brother of a youth I knew was her boyfriend, something else comes to mind but you never know who's reading this! I can't remember any of the names but images of all of them are frozen in my memory. I seem to remember that occasionally we would go round the back of the Myrtle Road co-op to try and spy her in her bedroom!

Thanks, I'll always remember that pretty smile when I gave her the paper.

I remember the stupid road layout too. To get from Erskine Crescent to Heeley Bank school, you had to cut through the corner prefab, down their front path, around the house, and down their back path to Lawson's lane.

Otherwise it was a very long way around, 'specially if you were late for school! They tried everything, lots of wire, gates, fences, but we all still managed to sneak through.

Almost last call!! Trying to contact Alan A'Dale aka Alan Warrington - ex Heeley Banker for a class reunion of our 11+ class, being held on June 2nd at the Kenwood Hotel starting around 2.30pm.

If anyone is in touch with him or his sister Pat(married to David Bronco Lane) please let him know. We would love him to do a paying gig for us...maybe THAT might bring him out of the woodwork!! lol lol Here's hoping!!

Hi Royston

Is the time for the reunion 2.30 p.m., could you confirm as soon as you know? thanks

Wondered if any of you are on this picture -

jjboyc.jpg