Lancaster Bomber over Lodge Moor

I think it was a demonstration down near derwent although it's a guess. My reasoning is that it flew over my parents house (where I was at the time) followed Rivelin for a while, circled to the right, back over my parents house and down towards Ladybower and Derwent.

I have some photographs and video footage.

I'm gutted that a second after I stopped recording, the fighters broke formation and skewed off at tangents which was wonderful to see.

Click me

I'll gett eh video up soon and link to it for you all.:)

I think it was a demonstration down near derwent although it's a guess. My reasoning is that it flew over my parents house (where I was at the time) followed Rivelin for a while, circled to the right, back over my parents house and down towards Ladybower and Derwent.

I have some photographs and video footage.

I'm gutted that a second after I stopped recording, the fighters broke formation and skewed off at tangents which was wonderful to see.

Click me

I'll gett eh video up soon and link to it for you all.:)

Pretty accurate account.

My eldest daughter's bedroom window overlooks Hallam Golf Course and beyond toward Bradfield (although if you're my neighbour on Rochester Road could you get that blummin' tree chopped down!) and we got a superb view of these planes.

They headed over us, nearly taking our roof off and flew beyond Rivelin Valley (I'd say toward Loxley). They all banked right and headed back toward our house. Just as I was beginning to worry that they might actual hit us (!!) they banked again (in a circular fashion) and flew over the old Lodge Moor Hospital.

At this point the two smaller aircraft left the larger one and went in their own directions out of my view but heading toward Stanage Edge probably.

Very wonderful and surprisingly emotional.

BBMf were at blackpool 9/8/09 along with the reds and various other kit ... perhaps they flew across to Blackpool on saturday?

If you go to the BBMF site you can download a detailed spreadsheet of all the flights.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/displayinfo

Saturdays flight was a display over Gamston Airport (near Retford) and then onto Rhyl. It's interesting to see the number of events these planes do. Saturday alone shows flyovers at Gamston, Rhyl, Blackpool, Silloth, Dunscore & Morebattle before overnighting at Carlisle. I think what we saw in Sheffield was the circling of the planes for the Gamston event.

On Sunday the Lanc flew over Uppermill so I wouldn't be surprised if it flew over us again on the way back.

iwas with my son at lodge moor bus terminus it woz a lancaster bomber and 2 spit fires

iwas with my son at lodge moor bus terminus it woz a lancaster bomber and 2 spit fires

No, I'm pretty sure it was Lanc and one spitfire, and one hurricane. Spits and Hurricanes are very similar, an easy way to tell is to look at the undercarriage/wheel section. On spitfires it folds outwards under the wings and the hurricane folds inwards under the fuselage. Not that I'm an anorak or anything........:P

Spits and Hurricanes allso there wings are different shape

BBMF was also at the Windermere airshow a few weeks ago.

As were the Red Arrows and a Vulcan!

I only saw them from a distance and it looked like 2 Spitfires to me too.

For anybody whos intrested and provided the weather does not spoil it the lanc should be passing over sheffield or the derwent valley today on its way from coalville to the site of the old avro factory at chadderton.

Its due to flyover chadderton at 16.25 so eyes skyward anytime from 16.00!!

Fingers crossed :clap:

You will defo hear it coming before you see it!!!

Edited by steelman79