Lancaster Bomber over Lodge Moor

it was on its way to do a display over retford and it will be in sheffield again at the sheffield fayre Norfolk Heritage Park

28th & 29th August 2005

Admission Free, car park £2

Apparently they had a payload 7 times that of a Flying Fortress. I too had an airfix Lancaster model as a child but the Bristol Beaufort was the first one I built, painted it camouflage green and black. I think the Lancaster was dark blue for some reason.

Will I see any at the Waddington airshow I wonder?

Originally posted by snidge

Thanks for the link!

My brother treated him to a trip in Just Jane (located at East Kirby) for his 60th birthday. A day he will always remember. :thumbsup:

We flew Richard Todd in to East Kirkby yesterday, and did some helicopter pleasure flying.

The Lancaster there is in excellent condition. Although it doesn't fly, they do taxi it out several times over the summer season.

There are only two Lancasters flying - the BBMF one from Coningsby (and it flies rarely these days - they want to keep it going as long as possible).

The BBMF Spitfire and Hurricane came over East Kirkby yesterday, and they have their own Spitfire that they fly regularly.

Pics here:

Lancaster

Hurricane & Spitfire

East Kirkby's Spitfire

Yes, you can't help but have tremendous admiration for those who not only flew in these aircraft, but flew all the way to Germany and back while under attack.

The Lanc at East Kirby is well worth seeing, and if it is on one of the days when they do the fast taxi run, it is a thrill to hear those four Merlin engines opened up, it's ear splitting.

The interesting thing about the East Kirby Lanc is it is dedicated to the City of Sheffield, and has the Sheffield coat of arms on the nose, a tribute so I am told to the hammering Sheffield received during the Blitz.

Originally posted by snidge

Thanks for the link!

My brother treated him to a trip in Just Jane (located at East Kirby) for his 60th birthday. A day he will always remember. :thumbsup:

Not a problem! I went for a ride in Just Jane a few years back - a very enjoyable day out. If only they were allowed to take off :)

I was in the field behind the Sportsman pub flying kites when it went over - hopefully got some great photo's of the kites and the bomber. It was pretty cool.

Just had the incredible pleasure of seeing either a Lancaster or Lincoln Bomber, accompanied by two smaller planes (Spitfires) flying over my home in Lodge Moor.

They flew incredibly low, banked and came back over head before heading off toward Redmires.

Did anyone else see this and is there an anniversary relating to this fly-by?

This happened at 12.30pm 8/8/09.

Yup I saw them - heard them first ! Had a great view from my attic windows - by the time I'd run and got my camera for the second pass they were just dots... :-(

Cant see anything on the Battle of Britain Memorial flight about today.

Just had the incredible pleasure of seeing either a Lancaster or Lincoln Bomber, accompanied by two smaller planes (Spitfires) flying over my home in Lodge Moor.

They flew incredibly low, banked and came back over head before heading off toward Redmires.

Yes I saw this too - a fantastic sight and very low too. All too brief though as they disapeared over the trees. Just loooked at the BBMF web site and there is a display at Rhyl today, so they were obviously on their way there. I hope they come back the same way!!

Excellent, how low were they, got a great view, my neighbour said it was lancaster, spitfire and a hurricane but I wouldn't know, a real treat.

Ah .. my Mum used to work on the Lancasters during the war .. memories .. well, for her, not me obiously.

Sorry to boast But, I have a Lancaster fly over my house almost every Saturday in the summer, She belongs to the Canadian War plane herritage museum, I get shivers up and down my spine every time I hear Her, my whole house shakes, She carries passengers and I am saving up to go on Her. I used to go to Finningley every year as a kid hoping to see one, now I can touch one any time I want, the museum is only two or three miles away and I intend to volunteer there when I retire.