Which antivirus is best?

Im just setting up a new laptop, which antivirus softwear is best to use (not that theres any private info on there, just want to keep the nasty virus's at bay)

so, recommend me an antivirus please .... that wont break the bank!

If money was no object, use Sophos everytime. But realisticly, AVG is very good for general use and there is a free version as well.

Don't use Norton.

I've been very happy with McAfee, but I have it on good authority that Kaspersky is better, and proven to be so in independent testing. It's also cheaper!

Edit: Yes, I agree with the previous poster: Norton is a nightmare!

Thanks for the advice, Ive just looked at Kaspersky web page, its not bad value, but i've got 4 computers, can i only download and use on 1 computer? Ideally I want something i can use on them all without costing a fortune

I'd go for avast! It's free and does a very good job.

How long's a piece of string?

Depends on how much you wanna spend. Don't let anyone tell you which is best, unless of course they've tried EVERY program and had an unbiased system of scoring points for each one.

Perhaps you ought to have asked which one folks would recommend.

For free, AVG8 is pretty good.

For cash, Norton All In One is decent.

The best thing to do would be to start with the least expensive, give it a try and then consider splashing some cash if you're still worried about viruses.

In the main, avoid downloading from the internet, avoid opening emails from folk you don't know, have an anti-virus program running that checks everything, even USB memory sticks, and try something like google's pop up blocker or Firefox.

Don't forget your firewall too :)

Thanks for the advice, Ive just looked at Kaspersky web page, its not bad value, but i've got 4 computers, can i only download and use on 1 computer? Ideally I want something i can use on them all without costing a fortune

You can get Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 V8 UK Edition OEM 3 User 1 Year for £12.95 exc. VAT (£14.89 inc. VAT) from here:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Software/Security+%26amp%3B+Anti-Virus/Kaspersky+Internet+Security+2009+V8+UK+Edition+OEM+3+User+1+Year?productId=32447 :thumbsup:

norton antivirus without a doubt

NOT............AVG and avast arent 2 bad

Edited by sidbobs

to be honest I have hated the bloated badly designed hard to use resource eatin pile of crap that WAS norton.

however the new one is really good, dunno what its detection rate is but i havent been struck down by a virus and i do the social networking / downloadin / webmailing that is supposed to make you prone to virusses.

so eventhough it hurts to say it Norton for me..... you can always go down the 30 day trial route

I've used AVG and McAfee. I found AVG better in-fact so good I paid for it. I like the ease of use. They send you a disk too so no need to worry about the data files. As I recall its fairly cheap. Their tech support is good too. They also release 3 updates a day and I have found were the quickest to release a fix (when I stupidly let my ex check here emails on my PC..."oh look I've won the lottery":loopy:....NOOOO!!:rant:).